Menu

Good place to start?

stephanie

My kids have never had art instruction, and I'm looking at Atelier. I was wondering what the opinions were in terms of where to start. I looked at the website, but I was hoping for some input from people who have done it before. I have 4 dc; 14, 10, 8, and 7. Ds14 is probably the most challenged in his drawing, still drawing not much more than stick figures. So going at a lower level wouldn't be a big deal for him. Otoh, I would consider dd7 gifted in her artistic capabilities. I'm just hoping for a 'meet in the middle' level. Thanks for any suggestions!

We use Atelier, and before I started I didn't know which level to go with either. If I were you, I'd just find a middle ground: whatever level they suggest is avg. for a 10 - 11 yr. old. That way it's not too young for your dd, but leaves room for your oldest to catch up. If one or some of your dc move ahead at a different rate than the other(s), you could go ahead and get the next level for them, knowing the others will be moving into it eventually (you wouldn't be wasting $). Then again, if you're like me you want to keep them all on the same level to save time. I'd call Mark (I think that was his name) at Atelier and just describe your dc's abilities. Since he knows the program inside & out, he could probably make the best rec.

I highly rec. the famous artist study cards & guide. I forgot what Atelier calls it. This adds some art history, appreciation, and picture study to the curriculum.

I have only used level 3. I used it with children from 6 - 9 years old. I did this with another mom and we did many of the projects as well and enjoyed doing them. There are a few that may be young for your older child.

When I first purchased this program, I bought level 4, because that is what the rep at the convention recommended. I went down to level 3 because my son has fine motor issues and I noticed there were more shading and drawing activities in level 4 that I didn't think he was ready for.

Lisa