Menu

VP Memory CD and Looking for Kathy Gentili Info...

kbpaulie

I've heard many Classical Conversation people explain that the VP memory songs are not in order. When I looked through my cards they were in historical order. So, do the songs not go in order of the cards, or is my pack an exception and in later packs the cards are not in order? Other thoughts?

Also, does anyone have Kathy Gentili e-mail contact info. I understand she has a CD based on the VP cards. Anyone know the quality of this? Can you compare to VP? Any other comments? I was thinking of ordering this.

Thanks-

KB

Well, there are a few times where someone could argue that a card is out of order, though I do think they were placed thoughtfully. If you look at the end of one set of cards and the beginning of the next set, you'll see that sometimes the first cards in the second set pre-date some of the last cards in the first set -- it has to do with keeping things thematic... (So if you have a set about the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt, some of the Egypt cards might come after some of the Greece and Rome cards in the next set, but they make sense within the context of their own set.)

There are also other times when the cards place an ongoing event before or after a short-term event, so it's arguable where one would place the cards on a timeline...

Overall, the cards are placed in as best chronological order as they can -- given that history is messy and some things overlap and other things influence each other more closely than others and...

Interesting the Classical Conversations would suggest the VP cards are out of order. The CC history sentences' wild randomness makes me crazy. Great little ditties for memorizing the odd fact here and there, but utterly baffling as to overall structure. Year 1 especially. What is *with* that?!?

(I don't know the other songs -- we've been pretty happy with the VP ones.)

What I was told is that CC tries to be purely Chronological, while VP meant to be chronological within Geographical locations...so a different order....

Kathy Gentili's cd is by VP order.

Carrie:-)

This is correct. VP doesn't claim to be strictly chronolgical, so I don't think CC is saying anything VP wouldn't say themselves. CC uses the cards in a different way (one long chain,) and so organizes them differently.

From what I also understand, the Gentili CD is by VP order, so that would not be a help to those doing them in CC order.