Menu

Mixing AAS and Megawords?

Tami in CA

I was wondering if I could use both AAS and Megawords at the same time? I am using AAS with my 14ds who is mildly dyslexic and we are currently on Lesson 20 of Level One. We basically did Lessons 1-19 in one week and they were quite easy for him. I am planning on using all the levels of AAS since the author has told me that after completing Level Six a child will be spelling at a high school level. I think AAS is great and so easy to teach that I actually enjoy using it and my son doesn't balk at using the tiles and such. So all is good with AAS.

My question would be, can we also use Megawords? I would like to give him practice with the longer multi-syllable words that Megawords teaches. I have looked at samples of it and see that it uses rules also. I was just wondering if I started using Megawords now, would I mess up what we are learning in AAS? I don't want to confuse him but I would like him to also be working with some of the larger words.

I guess I am just wondering if we can start using Megawords now or if we should wait until we complete all of AAS?

Thanks for your input,

Tami

If you want the benefit of some direct instruction in multisyllabic words, then go with Sopris-West's REWARDS Intermediate program. It's much much stronger than megawords, which is more spelling focused. REWARDS is amazing. AAS will deal with your spelling. REWARDS will get them quickly reading multisyllabic words, spelling them, and towards the end starts to work on fluency.

The drawback is that the TM is nearly $100, so it's not cheap. However, resale value is great. You might even be able to find one here.

I can't see any reason to add megawords to AAS.

:)

Katherine

Tami,

Normally I would say wait till you finish AAS then do Megawords, but given the age of your son, I don't see how Megawords would hurt. I do know there was another gal on the HearofReading yahoo group using both together and found they complimented each other nicely in what they covered when.

Heather

Thank you for your input. My son is reading quite well despite the dyslexia, so it is more a spelling issue we are dealing with. I am hoping the AAS will work for him. So far it has been pretty easy. He has learned a few rules he didn't know, but the spelling words have been very easy for him. I am expecting it to get more difficult for him in the coming levels.

I think we might try Megawords 1 and see how it goes. I just want him to have practice with some of the larger words sooner rather than later being that he is already 14.

Thank you for your input. My son is reading quite well despite the dyslexia, so it is more a spelling issue we are dealing with. I am hoping the AAS will work for him. So far it has been pretty easy. He has learned a few rules he didn't know, but the spelling words have been very easy for him. I am expecting it to get more difficult for him in the coming levels.

I think we might try Megawords 1 and see how it goes. I just want him to have practice with some of the larger words sooner rather than later being that he is already 14.

Hi Tami,

BTW, Have you seen this article on teaching older kids? If you know your son knows how to spell the words, you don't have to make him spell every one--you can move more quickly through the things he knows by having him demonstrate on just a few words, and then move on to the next lesson. If it's a new rule, you can spend more time on it. Anyway, that might help him progress more quickly.

Merry :-)

If you want the benefit of some direct instruction in multisyllabic words, then go with Sopris-West's REWARDS Intermediate program. It's much much stronger than megawords, which is more spelling focused. REWARDS is amazing. AAS will deal with your spelling. REWARDS will get them quickly reading multisyllabic words, spelling them, and towards the end starts to work on fluency.

The drawback is that the TM is nearly $100, so it's not cheap. However, resale value is great. You might even be able to find one here.

I can't see any reason to add megawords to AAS.

:)

Katherine

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about Megawords here. I found it to be good for multi-syllabic study.

You could also try my free online spelling lessons and Webster's Speller, both are good for multi-syllable words and are free.

There shouldn't be a problem mixing them, in fact, I've found it beneficial for my remedial students to see things in slightly different ways, and to see both rules and patterns.

Webster's is linked below, and here are my spelling lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html