Menu

A question about using natural progesterone

I started using it last month as recommended by my ob/gyn. I could tell a huge improvement in moods, tenderness, energy. My question is: He told me to use it beginning day 15 until my period starts. I am 47, likely perimenopausal, still ovulate, had a baby 4 years ago. I'm wondering if I should use it every day instead of just beginning day 15? Any info/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

There is a huge range of possibilities and you wouldnt be wrong to try any of them. I would read Dr Lee's book though to inform yourself as well as you can.

My doctor prescribed me a 5% cream and told me to use it all the time, but to adjust as I felt to. The label said to use a spatula full of cream twice a day. (comes with a tiny spatula). I quickly learned that did NOT work for me. If I use any amount in the morning, I just get tired and want to go to bed- virtually unfunctional. If i use a spatula full of the 5% cream, even in the evening, I feel yucky the next day. If I use one dab of cream in the evening, it helps me sleep, evens out my moods and has no other side effects. Sometimes I use it all month. Sometimes I use it from day 15 or so until my period. I experiment. I think its ok to do that with progesterone cream.

However, if you are feeling much better using it from day 15, what advantage do you see in using it all month?

I used to feel worse from Day 15 on. Now last month after starting the cream, I actually had more energy from Day 15 on then I did this month from 1-14. :) So that is why I wondered if I would receive benefit from the whole month. On the book...I noticed that the perimenopause book was written in 1999 but the menopause book was recently revised and updated. My doctor recommended the perimenopause book but I'm wondering if the menopause with its updates is now better and would still give info applicable now.

I used to feel worse from Day 15 on. Now last month after starting the cream, I actually had more energy from Day 15 on then I did this month from 1-14. :) So that is why I wondered if I would receive benefit from the whole month. On the book...I noticed that the perimenopause book was written in 1999 but the menopause book was recently revised and updated. My doctor recommended the perimenopause book but I'm wondering if the menopause with its updates is now better and would still give info applicable now.

The Premenopause book gives more information about natural progesterone. It also addresses the emotional factors, and the environmental factors that aren't addressed in the "... Menopause" book. The "...Menopause" book gives great explanations for what is happening in your body (flux of hormones, etc.), and it's written in more of an encyclopedia format, so it's easy to look back and find information. I would highly recommend reading BOTH of them! :)