Menu

What is chipboard?

Our curbside recycling now takes chipboard. What is it? Or rather what are some examples of chipboard? Googling doesn't give me examples. Are these cereal boxes and the like?

Also what is aseptic packaging? Again googling tells me what the process is, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Our curbside recycling now takes chipboard. What is it? Or rather what are some examples of chipboard? Googling doesn't give me examples. Are these cereal boxes and the like?

Also what is aseptic packaging? Again googling tells me what the process is, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I've always known chipboard as being about an 1/8th of an inch thick or thicker, very stiff, and tough to cut. It's solid paper fiber pressed together. In that way it's similar to cereal boxes.

Well, neither of those are what we call chip board here in Australia, lol. here chipboard refers to fairly thick wooden board (half an inch or so) that is made from chips of wood somehow stuck together. Its often used for furniture. It tends to disintegrate when it gets wet. It is used the same way a slab of wood would be, but is a cheaper quality.

Well, neither of those are what we call chip board here in Australia, lol. here chipboard refers to fairly thick wooden board (half an inch or so) that is made from chips of wood somehow stuck together. Its often used for furniture. It tends to disintegrate when it gets wet. It is used the same way a slab of wood would be, but is a cheaper quality.

I forgot about that sort of chipboard. Because recycling was mentioned I was thinking of paper products, not wood. I think the OP needs to call to ask.

:iagree:The bad thing about chip board is it is glued together with a glue that is very high in fameldahyde(sp) content. My son nor my self can get close to this without having a bad reaction. Nasty stuff.

A lot of craft projects call for "chip board", does anyone know where it can be purchased?

I suppose recycling from cereal boxes would be one resource, but for clean sheets of it on both sides maybe craft stores? I've never seen it for sale.

BearLair

A lot of craft projects call for "chip board", does anyone know where it can be purchased?

I suppose recycling from cereal boxes would be one resource, but for clean sheets of it on both sides maybe craft stores? I've never seen it for sale.

BearLair

Don't know about purchasing, but I save the backs of legal pads for crafts like this. (It helps that I use a lot at work.)

Article

I'm sure there are other definitions, but recycling companies generally are referring to cereal box type material.

What is Chipboard? Chipboard is cardboard that is not corrugated. It is not particle board or made of wood chips in any way, instead made of recycled paper which is pressed into a paperboard. Though it does have a grain like wood, with one direction being more sturdy then the other, it is not wood. Cereal boxes, tissue boxes, fruit snack boxes, etc are all made of chipboard. Chipboard comes in two colors, Kraft and News. Kraft is brown and News is Grey. If you look inside your cereal boxes you can compare the colors.

White chipboard is clay-coated chipboard. The coating is applied to only one side of the board. The other side is either Kraft or News. Just like a cereal box you can see the white coating first and then the printer applies the colored ink over the clay-coating for the design.

There are many thicknesses of chipboard. The higher the number the thicker the chipboard is. A cereal box thickness is .022. We carry from .022 to .080, however, you can find chipboard from .012 to .120+. Some of the thicker chipboard is often referred to as book board, davey board, or pasted board. If you have no idea what thickness you need, samples are available.

Uses for chipboard

• Covers for albums - bound or loose
  • Die cutting (sizzix, cuttlebug, cricut, etc)
  • Scrapbooking - chipboard letters, numbers, titles, etc.
  • Backing for notebooks or note pads
  • Art projects - drawing and painting
  • Graphic design projects
  • Screen Printing "scraperboards"
  • Stiffeners for mailing envelopes

This is just a short list of the many uses for chipboard. Use your imagination and the possibilities are endless. Samples are available. Some techniques will need to be practiced.

Don't know about purchasing, but I save the backs of legal pads for crafts like this. (It helps that I use a lot at work.)[/quote

If you need large sheets (up to 24x36), you might try stores that cater to model train builders (for landscape or buildings), or architectural schools or architects. Even then it may not be easy to find because foam board is much easier to work with. I haven't purchased any since I graduated 30+ years ago.