Menu

All About Spelling Questions (for a beginner)

Jules

If I am just starting with AAS and have two students that would be starting with it, a 9 and 7 year old, what do you need for it?

Do you need extra tiles/magnets or is one set enough?

Do you need to buy the Phonogram CD, is that something you use regularly?

I would start with Level 1 for both of them, although I know that my 9 year old will move more quickly through it...so they will start together, but may end up doing it seperately after awhile.

I am starting this as well.....

Are you starting with Level A or B? I purchased both but can't figure out where exactly to start.

I have 2 sets of tiles, but only one white board right now. I need to get another one.

Dawn

I don't think you need the CD unless your child has a difficult time with proper pronunciation and would benefit from hearing it over and over. The letter sounds are very specific. The TM is very good at describing how to say each phonogram properly. HTH!

I've used level 1 with my 9 year old and 7 year old. My 9 year old is going to start level 2 soon, my 7 year old is about half way through 1 (she's a late bloomer) You can use just 1 set of tiles, but each child would need their own material packet. I have never used the CD.

My suggestion would be to get the Level 1 kit (TM, Student material packet) and then an extra student material packet for level 1. You may also want to buy the Level 2 kit for your 9 year old as they may go through level 1 pretty quickly.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions ask away.

I am starting this as well.....

Are you starting with Level A or B? I purchased both but can't figure out where exactly to start.

I have 2 sets of tiles, but only one white board right now. I need to get another one.

Dawn

Dawn,

I would say start with Level 1 but feel free to go through it at a pretty quick pace. I started my 9 soon to be 10 year old in level 1 and we just did 2 steps a week, since much of it was review, but there were a few things that did help clarify things for him, like when to use C or K at the beginning of a word.

HTH

Thanks everyone for the quick responses....

This is what I was thinking...

"My suggestion would be to get the Level 1 kit (TM, Student material packet) and then an extra student material packet for level 1. You may also want to buy the Level 2 kit for your 9 year old as they may go through level 1 pretty quickly."

Thank you

Thanks.... I meant 1 and 2....can you tell I have other curriculum thoughts going on at the same time? Singapore is A and B and that is on my mind right now.

We were using SWR, but it was so labor intensive for me.

Dawn

Dawn,

I would say start with Level 1 but feel free to go through it at a pretty quick pace. I started my 9 soon to be 10 year old in level 1 and we just did 2 steps a week, since much of it was review, but there were a few things that did help clarify things for him, like when to use C or K at the beginning of a word.

HTH