Menu

Red Beans and Rice?

You have to soak the beans before cooking (I just follow the instructions on the bag)

But, I saute onion, garlic and mix it with the cooked beans and rice. We also add shredded cheese and salsa.

YUM!! Then dip tortilla chips into the mix and enjoy.

Blessings,

kathi

Anyone have a yummy recipe for red beans and rice using dry red beans?

Thanks!

Jennifer

This is the way my mama taught me....

Sort your beans to make sure there are no stones. Fill your pot 3/4 of the way with water. Add salt, pepper, chopped garlic, about 1 bunch of green onions, chopped onion, a few drops of hot sauce and 3 or 4 bay leaves.

Put on the stove with high temperature until boiling. Let it boil a few minutes, then turn it down to a simmer. Simmer all day, stir occasionally to keep from sticking. When you are stirring, smash some the beans against the side of the pot to thicken.

About an hour before you're ready to serve, slice some precooked sausage or ham and add to beans. You can start your rice now too.

Serve over rice. :) It truly helps if you are doing laundry because it's a meal that can just sit on the stove most of the day with minimal attention. In fact, down here most restaurants serve red beans on Mondays! :D

My recipe for red beans is this...

Sort the beans and throw out any stones or beans that are funny looking. Wash them well with water and rinse them (about 3-4 times) then fill the pot with alot of water and let them soak overnight. The next day, throw out the soak water (this cuts down on gas) and rinse again before filling the pot with water covering the beans. Simmer them on low-med (depending on your stove) covered with a couple bay leaves for a few hours. When beans are getting soft, in a separate pan sautee a whole chopped onion, a whole chopped bell pepper and a whole minced head of garlic in olive oil until the onions are and peppers are soft. Pass the onion, pepper garlic mixture through a blender with a little bit of the beans and the bean water to make a thick mixture and pour that back into the bean pot. Repeat until you have blended smooth all of the onion, peppers etc and added it all to the bean pot. Then simmer a little longer and add pepper and adobo or salt to taste. Serve over fresh white rice. YUM. :)

edit: one thing I forgot to mention. You can also add some tarragon flakes right at the very end if you want, but it's optional. I also forgot to mention that the onion should be a large one. I usually use a big vidalia onion. I'm guessing about the peppers because I usually buy a bunch at a time and chop them all up and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer and then take handfuls out as I need them when I'm cooking. For a 1lb bag of dried beans, I usually use 2-3 handfuls of diced peppers. I'm guessing that's somewhere between 1-2 peppers. Sorry I should have put that in originally. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

can you do it in the crock pot instead of stovetop?

I don't know if you were referring to my recipe or one of the others, but for mine I don't see why not. It has to slow cook on low heat so that seems ideal for a crock pot, but the sauteeing has to be done in a fry pan just because of the need for a higher heat. :)