Menu

What math is needed to begin physics?

Hopefully we will finish this Lial's Alg. I text by the end of the summer and start Geometry in 10th. But if we don't....

Will my ds be able to start Physics in 12th grade if he is only beginning Alg. II that year? Or should we plan for something else?

Thanks.

I would check the requirements of the program you want to use. Here is a chart for Apologia's requirements:

http://www.highschoolscience.com/store/?PHPSESSID=203e540017de25cfa5fc70c0152f9865

I would check the requirements of the program you want to use. Here is a chart for Apologia's requirements:

http://www.highschoolscience.com/store/?PHPSESSID=203e540017de25cfa5fc70c0152f9865

Apologia Physics is what I plan on using. It says that the prereqs are Alg. I, Geometry and basic Trig. He will have the first two, but not sure where the Trig comes from. Is that in Alg. II??

Thanks again.

Some Al II texts will cover it and some geometry texts would as well. But honestly, you wouldn't need a trig course for what Wile uses. It is just things like using sine and cosine to find sides of triangles and such to break out vectors or combine them. The Algebra is what you really need. He should be comfortable with manipulating equations algebraically to do well in the course. If you can get you hands on a copy of the student book, you will be able to look at the example problems and see if you think he could handle it. The examples are well laid out as are the solutions.

Some Al II texts will cover it and some geometry texts would as well. But honestly, you wouldn't need a trig course for what Wile uses. It is just things like using sine and cosine to find sides of triangles and such to break out vectors or combine them. The Algebra is what you really need. He should be comfortable with manipulating equations algebraically to do well in the course. If you can get you hands on a copy of the student book, you will be able to look at the example problems and see if you think he could handle it. The examples are well laid out as are the solutions.

We are using Lial's Intro Algebra. I'm learning as we go just as my ds is. And I've never taken Physics...nor do I have any idea what sine and cosine is. :o Looking at a physics book won't help me determine much.

When you say that he needs algebra to do the Wile text, do you mean Alg. I or II?

Thanks for your help.

What science are you pursuing now? Are you already using Apologia? Are you planning to try the Chemistry course in 11th grade?

When my ds took Chemistry, he had already completed Al I and Geometry and he was taking Al II and he did fine with it. Chemistry is also Algebra intensive in the Wile text. We are now in the middle of the Physics text and ds is finishing up Pre-calculus, BUT he has not needed anything more than Al II and the basic trig that I mentioned.

I'm not sure how to help you determine if it would be over his head or not. If I understand your original post, your ds is in 9th grade now, right? So, you have plenty of time to figure this out. My son's abilities really grew over the 9th and 10th grade years, so I would encourage you to not worry about it yet...even though I know it is hard.

Then, after you've completed 10th grade, I'd really encourage you to borrow a copy of Apologia's Physics book and try reading a chapter or two and see if you can understand and work the problems. That would probably help you make a decision. You could do the same thing with the Chemistry Book too.

One other thing...I've found that Apologia's answer service is very willing to help if a student gets hung up on a problem or concept. It's free and they are friendly and prompt.

HTH;)

Hi Rhonda,

An absolutely fabulous resource for anyone planning on majoring in physics is www.physicsforums.com

It's exactly the same board system as this one and has extremely active posters from a broad background--applied mathematicians, physics majors, as well as high school students--all discussing what has worked and what hasn't.

Great Resource...thanks for the reminder!:D

I agree with the above posts about the trig part just being a "light application". I drug my feet starting my older one in physics until she had completed her very tough Trig course (dual credit college) (it was tough because you had only one test for 75% of your grade and it was a three hour test) Naturally she stretched this out, and her physics didn't start until 12 grade (and not that early in 12th) So she only finished one semester and took the other one as Physical Science as she could finish it faster to graduate. What I realized later was that she had had enough Trig at the end of the geometry book, and also the Alg. 2-Trig included enough for physics AND I should have started her earlier. She had a tough physics course at college, of course it was the calculus based but she was challenged. In contrast that to the chemistry, which I spent more than one year on, then sent her to PS for AP chemistry--anyway at college she loved the chemistry course and did well. (even considered majoring in it!) (I think the teacher must have been fabulous!) She watched others --who had never touched a chem book until college--definitely NOT enjoy themselves. So if possible, if you can plan 1 to 1 1/2 -2 years for those tougher classes NOW, it will pay off as less stress in college.