Menu

AP Comparitive Govt. & Politics and AP US Govt. & Politics: What are your thoughts on

taking the two exams on the same day. I was told that the two exams are offered for the price of one. Has anyone taken these two courses the same year? It looks like there is some overlap in the subject matter since US Govt. provides a framework to learn about the government of other countries. What is the time commitment needed per day if you attempt the two the same year? Anyone been there? Look forward to any input. Thanks.

I was told that the two exams are offered for the price of one.

Hmm. I don't think that is accurate. I believe each AP exam is $85 (that's what I'm paying anyway).

Both APUSG&P and APUSCompGov are most often taught as semester courses. So I don't think there would be any problem doing both in a year. I taught APUSG&P this year and I would estimate my students spent about an hour a day as we stretched it into a full year course. I've not looked at APCompGov texts at all, just seen comments through the year on the AP list serve. I would assume there is quite a bit of overlap once you understand American Government and can then compare it to systems used in other countries.

Lisa

Nissi,

I'm sorry I was unclear. I wasn't suggesting you could not do both at the same time. It's very likely a possibility. If you stretch both to full year courses, the benefit would be that both would be fresh for the AP exam. I'd have to compare texts and AP requirements to see how much overlap there is. I do think, though, that if I was doing both, I would do APCompGov on the heels of APUSGov - one per semester.

I think it would have been government overload for *my* dc to do both in one year as APUSGov is a tremendous amount of information, caselaw, history, etc. on its own. One student in my class, however, would probably have thrived doing both courses. We'll see when the scores come back how much actually stuck.

Lisa

and I don't see why we (my daughter) couldn't have also taken Comp. Gov. at the same time from them and benefitted and learned the material well. But, yeah, my understanding would also be that you would pay for each test, that they have their own specific time on the given day that they must be taken, period.

I was going to suggest - you might try going to PAH online and emailing one of the instructors on there. It's very easy to do. Just go to http://www.pennsylvaniahomeschoolers.com and look up AP online courses, then choose one of the courses on the left bar and you can find instructors' email addresses included in the various course descriptions. Our experience has been that these folks are sharp and know what they're talking about and also are very friendly and helpful.

You could look up one of either the US Gov. teachers or Comp. Gov teachers (can't remember if there are more than one of each....)

PAH's courses are ALL certified through College Board as legitimate AP courses.

Just to let you know.

HTH!

Jo