Menu

School names?

We had to choose a name for our home school in California back when home educators registered as private schools. I chose "Four Horizons Christian School" because we had 4 children and they all seemed to be running in different directions! (a dd and 3 ds) So, I guess it was a little family joke and a little reference to my love of maps, geography and exploration. If I were to rename our school now I would probably choose something that fit our location or interests. We were trying to figure out a name for our little piece of ground and came up with "Briery Wood," but it becomes less so all the time as the goats and sheep do their work clearing out the brambles.

I don't have to choose a name for my school since I live in a state that doesn't have regulations, BUT... I call it Sunnyview, because that was the name of the one-room schoolhouse my parents both attended when they were little kids. And it makes me smile.

Ours is Bolivar Academy. I needed a name on the form letter you use to withdraw a child from public school and went with the most obvious choice available. Dh is Venezuelan and after 10 years in Caracas, naming everything in sight after Bolivar is second nature to me. I do like it because it's fairly generic, reflects something about us without being too personal and sounds like a serious enterprise for transcript purposes.