Menu

When we cover Ancients in year 1, how far does that take us in Bible history?

HappyGrace

We're doing Ancients for history in 5th grade (yr after next) and I'm trying to figure out how far that year will take us in the Bible, mainly because this coming year (4th grade) I want to do some chronological Old Testament work but don't want to do early Bible history since we'll get to that in 5th grade. (It seems we've done early Bible history and NT, and I want to take some time in the middle/end of the OT!)

So if I start at I Samuel next year will that work, or is that still too early-that would be covered in Ancients? Do I remember that Ancients typically goes up to the Divided Kingdom?

Most ancients programs take you up to 400 AD--the fall of Rome. Obviously, this means that the all Bible history is included in the 1st year. We studied the historical Biblical aspects and did not cover other types of books.

We're doing ancient history now. I think you will still have a lot of ground to cover. Like you said, there's the patriarchs, Moses in Egypt through the Exodus, to Joshua and entering the Promised Land. Then there is the time of the Judges leading up to Samuel with the establishment of the reign of kings.

Even after you study the divided kingdom (Chronicles and Kings) you can study about the exile to Assyria (concurrent with studies about the Assyrian empire) and Babylon. And then you could study Daniel, which covers the Babylonian empires and the Medes and Persians. Oh, and the story of Esther! And then there's the return to Jerusalem (Ezra and Nehemiah) during the time of the Persian empire....

Sorry for the run-ons. But just wanted to give you the list of all the stuff that you could cover, which is a lot! :001_smile: