Menu

For those of you with a struggling reader - take heart!!

Kate, that was lovely! My last 'baby' is 10, and has struggled so with reading. I have tried to shelter her from the awkwardness of her 'slow blooming' but it has been difficult. A simple read aloud class at the library turned into a huge embarrassment when she was called upon to read a book many years too advanced for her ability. Giggles from the crowd can be so cruel. Last year in our tiny homeschool co-op the other moms seemed to feel quite natural in letting their children's reading abilities shine (I love these ladies, BTW, but I think I had an unspoken chip on my shoulder)...and my poor dd was always the last to take her turn. Several of the other kids were less than gracious, and many times she left the meetings with her feelings so hurt. I finally had to tell the other moms that we should probably not participate in public readings. :D Fast forward to last month...when she asked me if she could try one of the Pathway Readers on our shelf, and she took it to her room. An hour later she emerged, a coy smile on her face. I asked her how the book reading was going, and she replied, "Oh, not very well, I'm just on page 112!" Then the biggest smile came on her face, and I started to CRY. Oh my goodness, the moment we homeschool moms wait for...the special time when a child has learned to read. Now she is often seen with a book in her hand, and takes every opportunity to read things out loud with confidence. One of the all-time greatest joys of my life. Blessings and happy reading~

Ginger (whose 4 girls started at ages 9, 3, 5, and 10)

Kate, that was lovely! My last 'baby' is 10, and has struggled so with reading. I have tried to shelter her from the awkwardness of her 'slow blooming' but it has been difficult. A simple read aloud class at the library turned into a huge embarrassment when she was called upon to read a book many years too advanced for her ability. Giggles from the crowd can be so cruel. Last year in our tiny homeschool co-op the other moms seemed to feel quite natural in letting their children's reading abilities shine (I love these ladies, BTW, but I think I had an unspoken chip on my shoulder)...and my poor dd was always the last to take her turn. Several of the other kids were less than gracious, and many times she left the meetings with her feelings so hurt. I finally had to tell the other moms that we should probably not participate in public readings. :D Fast forward to last month...when she asked me if she could try one of the Pathway Readers on our shelf, and she took it to her room. An hour later she emerged, a coy smile on her face. I asked her how the book reading was going, and she replied, "Oh, not very well, I'm just on page 112!" Then the biggest smile came on her face, and I started to CRY. Oh my goodness, the moment we homeschool moms wait for...the special time when a child has learned to read. Now she is often seen with a book in her hand, and takes every opportunity to read things out loud with confidence. One of the all-time greatest joys of my life. Blessings and happy reading~

Ginger (whose 4 girls started at ages 9, 3, 5, and 10)

Oh, Ginger, your story is just as wonderful!! My heart is full reading it. Thanks so much for sharing. It is such a joy and an honor to do what we do - even with all the struggles. :001_smile:

Ds is 6.5 and is barely reading CVC words, but I'm trying to remain patient. Thanks for sharing your blog link as it reminds me that reading will come when a child is ready.

My girl is 8 and it has been hard, but oh so worth it. :001_smile: