Menu

Newbie needs help starting in middle with 3rd & 4th grader

Guest farrelc

Guest farrelc

Next year will be first adventure with HS. I will have a 4th grade ds who is an advanced reader, higher level critical thinking, solid in math and science. I will have a 3rd grade dd, also an advanced reader tho not as much as ds, also solid in her core subjects. Have read SWB's articles on starting in the middle and HS with Multiple ages. Am leaning towards her suggested option of starting logic stage with my 4th gr ds and taking 5 years to complete the cycle. Then, got freaked out trying to figure how to fit in dd, who will still be in grammar stage, esp. after looking at booklists for each. Is it doable? Any suggestions?

Panic not! :) It's doable. I would look at book lists in The Well Trained Mind and see what will work for both of them and add in some extra for your older child. This is your first year of homeschooling and you need to take a little time to see what works for your family. Don't make yourself too crazy. It's great that they are both doing well. Welcome and enjoy having your kids home.

I for a time had two kids two grades apart - we did history and science together both could do experiments, mummify a chicken, etc. Keeping those two topics the same for both kids will help a lot!!!! Just expect higher reading and better note-taking from the older kid.