Menu

Sauteed Beet Greens - do I add stems?

It depends on your taste. I generally don't use the stems, as they do somewhat clash with the soft texture of the leaves.

One thing I've done successfully with the stems, is to wash them well (they retain grit) and then trim up the ends, and then stack them and cut them in very uniform lengths 2.5-3 inches.

Then blanch these in sake (or water) till just done. Then served neatly stacked with some sort of sauce/dressing on top. It's kind of a simply elegant way to use something that might other-wise get tossed.

Bill

One thing I've done successfully with the stems, is to wash them well (they retain grit) and then trim up the ends, and then stack them and cut them in very uniform lengths 2.5-3 inches.

Then blanch these in sake (or water) till just done. Then served neatly stacked with some sort of sauce/dressing on top. It's kind of a simply elegant way to use something that might other-wise get tossed.

Bill

Oh, that sounds much better than what I do with them. I usually chop the stems and add to my dog's food. ;)