Menu

Speech therapy--how do you know when to go?

My son couldn't begin to say his /r/ sound despite lots of work with us. Our pediatrician said they don't usually intervene before the age of 7. By the time he was 8, he wasn't any better so we tried speech therapy through the school. It wasn't helping. In fact, he was pronouncing his fake /r/s with a strange accent! lol. We let it go completely for nearly a year, but recently bought a book off of amazon. We have only gone through Lesson One and by the next day he was saying /r/ correctly. I couldn't believe it. All the work we've done with ZERO improvement and BOOM, one 15 minute lesson and it's working?!? Anyway, I can't recommend it highly enough!

Book Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Me-Talk-Right-Lessons/dp/0963542613/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239733468&sr=8-1

My son couldn't begin to say his /r/ sound despite lots of work with us. Our pediatrician said they don't usually intervene before the age of 7. By the time he was 8, he wasn't any better so we tried speech therapy through the school. It wasn't helping. In fact, he was pronouncing his fake /r/s with a strange accent! lol. We let it go completely for nearly a year, but recently bought a book off of amazon. We have only gone through Lesson One and by the next day he was saying /r/ correctly. I couldn't believe it. All the work we've done with ZERO improvement and BOOM, one 15 minute lesson and it's working?!? Anyway, I can't recommend it highly enough!

Book Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Me-Talk-Right-Lessons/dp/0963542613/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239733468&sr=8-1

I'm wondering if this would help me DD. She has trouble with "ar" and "or" combos. Like in the words "party" or "car" or "floor". She sounds like she's from Boston. :lol: So instead of "party" it sounds like"poorty". But she can say the "R" sound correctly....like rabbit, or rake. Does this book work on the combo sounds?

You go when either (a) sufficient time has been given for the child to learn their sounds appropriately, or (b) it is causing them embarrassment, or trouble with school.

My daughter (7) started speech therapy 3 weeks ago, due to the latter. She couldn't say TH in any position, SH, CH, the hard "J" or R in any combination. TH is now pretty much "fixed." SH, CH and "J" have seen tremendous improvement, and R... not so much.

But, if your child is having any personal issues with speech I wouldn't wait for them to grow out of it.

I'm wondering if this would help me DD. She has trouble with "ar" and "or" combos. Like in the words "party" or "car" or "floor". She sounds like she's from Boston. :lol: So instead of "party" it sounds like"poorty". But she can say the "R" sound correctly....like rabbit, or rake. Does this book work on the combo sounds?

Yes, though I've read this is common for speech development. My son had the same accent. Almost a w, but he mimicked as best he could. We decided that if he never learned his /r/ sound he'd be fine as long as he moved to New York. No one would notice the way he said "qwahttuh" instead of quarter.

Funny how what is an accent in one area is a speech impediment in another. :lol:

I don't know that I would wait. And if you are asking on the board, it usually means that you think you should go. A mother knows best. Go with your gut. If there is a speech problem, there may be an underlying language problem as well. I would have it checked now and if it needs fixed, start the therapy now. If not, you can rest in the fact that you have had it checked-out.