Menu

Is ETC enough for phonics?

I am really wondering here. I use so much english with my kids, it is getting ridiculous. I am trying to cut back and use one program for phonics, but I am not sure that ETC stands alone well.

Of course, that would not be our LA - we are also using HOD which includes copywork, spelling, and gentle grammar instruction. We will read the level 1 and 2 readers as well.

I am really wondering here. I use so much english with my kids, it is getting ridiculous. I am trying to cut back and use one program for phonics, but I am not sure that ETC stands alone well.

Of course, that would not be our LA - we are also using HOD which includes copywork, spelling, and gentle grammar instruction. We will read the level 1 and 2 readers as well.

I found that ETC was enough phonics for my dc - we use Rod & Staff for grammar, but the only thing I used to teach phonics and how to read, was ETC.

I may not be the best one to ask because I believe that reading mostly "just happens" for a percentage of kids. My eldest was never taught to read, no phonics, no programs or tutoring at all and she read early and well. My younger DD didn't pick it up on her own quite as quickly so I felt pressured to do something. She worked through maybe level 5 of ETC and was reading so well by then that we stopped. I dunno if it was ETC or just the extra time. We had bought phonics pathways and reviewed and evaluated several other reading programs but didn't end up using any of it.

Pegasus

What type of readers did you use? Did you get the TM with the ETC? Up till now, it wasn't the spine for us, so I did not get the TM. Does it make the program richer?

I didn't get the TM with the books, and we used the BOB books, and Pup and Pop and Cool Cats for very beginning readers, but I don't know that they were necessary. My ds flew way past where we were in ETC over one summer, so he didn't really use the early readers, but my dd did enjoy them for a little while.