Menu

CLE questions.

I have been back and forth with all these (sometimes overwhelming) curriculum choices. I thought I had it all figured out but since then I've heard quite a few good things about CLE. I think this would be a good fit for us, but I do have a few concerns. I posted these on the CLE yahoo group but have yet to get a response.

Right now my oldest ds is using R&S for math. I'm really not fond of it. There aren't enough problems per lesson so I'm constantly having to print worksheets from free online worksheet builder websites. For any with experience with both CLE and R&S, is this the same with CLE? Also my other consideration for math is Saxon. I have heard that CLE is very similiar to Saxon. Can anyone confirm this for me?

We are also changing our LA curriculum. Really I have no idea which way to go. We use Total Language Plus, but I like to take some weeks off in between study guides and really only plan to do 2-3 TLP guides a year. Prior to this (our first) homeschool year, my oldest was in public school where he learned zero diagramming. I noticed in the sample pages there is some more advanced diagramming in Ch 6 (more advanced considering this is something he has never done before). Do any of the earlier chapters teach diagramming, starting with subject and verb or is that taught in a previous year? I'm wondering if I should just purchase a free-standing diagramming program first to teach him that before purchasing CLE LA. Any thoughts or advice here? Also does the LA program include a writing program?

Also just today I was checking out the Bible curriculum on the website. Does anyone use it? Is it strictly bible-teaching or is religion involved? I would love to find a good bible-teaching program that is only concerned with teaching directly from the bible.

Finally some questions concerning my almost 5 year old. I'm wondering if there are placement tests available? He is probably at a first grade level in math, but I can't be sure without a test. If CLE is similiar to Saxon, wouldn't using that placement test work? Or maybe just by reading the CLE scope and sequence I could get a good idea whether or not 1st grade math would be a good fit?

Any thoughts or advice either way would be greatly appreciated!!!

R&S math 3-6,8. I switched my younger to CLE math 5 last school year. I'm very happy with CLE math.

We've used R&S English only but we will be switching to CLE LA in the fall.

What grade will your oldest be entering - gr. 5? Have you looked at ALL the Lightunit samples for CLE math? That should give you a good idea of the program. CLE math 5 has speed/mastery drills at the end of each lesson; grades 6 & up it's in the LU lesson not at back.

I have CLE Bible 6 and it's a survey of the whole Bible. You read the workbook, then the BIble parts it tells you to read and then fill in from what you read in the Bible.

Also have you looked at the CLE S&S?

You could use CLE reading and TLP together. I think TLP is light on grammar; you may want a stronger grammar program. CLE reading is only for 16 wks in grades 4 & up.

Well, I used R&S math for all grades up until last year. Then I switched my twins to CLE math. I personally felt that R&S had too many problems per lesson, and we often did just the odd or the even. CLE does fewer of each type of problem per lesson. If you are doing the Skills section, you will have an addition, subtration, a decimal, fraction, division and multiplication problem per lesson.

I agree with Michelle. Look at the samples for each lightunit in the grade you are interested in teaching. This should give you a very good view of how the lessons are laid out. I think Saxon has more problems in each lesson. I have not used it, so I can't say for sure about that.

We use CLE language arts. Be sure to take the diagnostic test. CLE has a little book called Basics of Diagramming. This will give you all the different types of diagramming covered in CLE.

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Jennie

I switched from R & S to CLE and am very happy too! I found CLE more fun (and advanced) than R & S as well. My daughter had done r&S1 for k and I thought I was going to start her mid-1st grade for CLE, but we ended up doing 1st from beginning to end. Story problems, number dictations, and geometry terms were foreign to her.

We did a couple lessons a day at first, but I think this was the right approach. My daughter loves it. She doesn't have to stare at a whole page of facts at a time (but she gets plenty of review with flashcards and small spurts of facts inter-mixed with other math learning).

The biggest plus for me is she is working much more independently and successfully than she was with R&S.