Menu

Would you share your reading programs with me??

but I will take a whack at it. :)

We have been using pathway readers without the workbooks, but if you wanted a full fledged reading program, you could look at pathway readers with their workbooks at rodandstaffbooks.com

I have also read that BJU is an excellent reading program, and many are now using Christian Light's reading program, which you can also see samples at the cle.org website.

Sorry, it's all that I have or know. I hope someone with more experience will chime in.

Blessings,

Dee

What exactly are you looking for? I use SL with my kids. My two older girls read the readers that SL includes with their Cores. That's all they had as far as a reading program goes by the time they were in 3rd and 5th grades. I didn't need reading comprehension or fluency work for them. They either got realy excited by what they were reading and couldn't wait to tell me about it or didn't like what they were reading and complained about it. I didn't have any need for anything else.

My youngest is dyslexic. She is in 5th grade and reading at grade level, but still needs reading instruction. She doesn't have any problems with comprehension though. If you're looking for instruction at 3rd grade level, then Phonics for Reading from Curriculum Associates and/or Abecedarian are what I'd look at. If you're looking for instruction at 5th grade level, then Rewards Reading and/or Abecedarian are what I'd recommend.

If you're looking for reading comprehension stuff, I haven't got a clue.

My oldest struggles with dyslexia too. He's reading at grade level, but I always feel like I should work with him constantly as to not lose ground. Believe it or not, it never occurred to me to have them in a 'formal' reading curriculum until mid year. :confused: They've always gone through the phonics programs we use until about 3rd grade. At that point, my son has just been reading various books. Then, I saw something about BJU reading. I realized they made programs for older kids. A light bulb went off!:tongue_smilie: I thought what a great idea for them. Duh, right? This idea didn't occur to me b/c we don't use a boxed curriculum set. I just thought that once we finished phonics- they are readers and don't need anything else. And, I guess some might agree with that; I don't know! Honestly, they will probably be fine without one. I just really like the idea of a formal, systematic program that guides them daily on lessons, comprehension, vocabulary, etc. Both of my sons that are reading, have no issues with comprehension, but I would really like them to have more practice at it. If for no other reason, test time!

I would probably lean more towards a christian curriculum. But, for reading, I don't have a really strong preference.

thanks so much!

I know what you mean about working with them constantly so they don't lose ground. My two older girls just took off. My dyslexic dd needs continual instruction though. If I don't keep working with her on reading instruction, her reading skills will not improve. She doesn't intuit anything about reading. If I don't explicitly teach it to her, she doesn't learn it.

One of the things she's having the hardest time with now is phrasing. She will read all the words correctly, but because she pauses at the wrong times and makes her voice go up (or down) at the wrong times, she completely changes the meaning of what she's read. She usually catches this because it usually changes the meaning. Most of the time she is able to read it correctly the 2nd time through, but not always. Sometimes she reads it exactly the same way the 2nd time and then asks me to tell her what she did wrong.

For instance, take the passage below where a calf is stuck in quicksand:

"How about some nice warm milk?" she crooned. The calf's ears fluttered her way. Then she pounced. Now. She hunched her shoulders forward. Keeping her legs still, Sam plunged her arms through the quicksand. It felt like cold oatmeal.

This is the way that my dd might read it:

"How about some nice warm milk?" She crooned the calfs. Ears fluttered her way then. She pounced now. She hunched her shoulders forward, keeping her legs still. Sam plunged her arms through the quicksand. It felt like cold oatmeal.

She'll read all the words correctly, but make them meaningless because of the way that she reads them. She usually catches on to this type of error pretty quickly because she always pays attention to meaning. She can't always figure out how to phrase the sentence correctly when she's reading out loud. If she reads it silently, she doesn't have any problems at all sorting out the meaning.

My dd is working through Rewards Reading right now and then I plan to have her do Abecedarian level D.

My oldest struggles with dyslexia too. He's reading at grade level, but I always feel like I should work with him constantly as to not lose ground. Believe it or not, it never occurred to me to have them in a 'formal' reading curriculum until mid year. :confused: They've always gone through the phonics programs we use until about 3rd grade. At that point, my son has just been reading various books. Then, I saw something about BJU reading. I realized they made programs for older kids. A light bulb went off!:tongue_smilie: I thought what a great idea for them. Duh, right? This idea didn't occur to me b/c we don't use a boxed curriculum set. I just thought that once we finished phonics- they are readers and don't need anything else. And, I guess some might agree with that; I don't know! Honestly, they will probably be fine without one. I just really like the idea of a formal, systematic program that guides them daily on lessons, comprehension, vocabulary, etc. Both of my sons that are reading, have no issues with comprehension, but I would really like them to have more practice at it. If for no other reason, test time!

I would probably lean more towards a christian curriculum. But, for reading, I don't have a really strong preference.

thanks so much!

My ds disagrees and says that CLE reading is SO hard. But it teaches them to think! I suggest starting a year behind grade level.

I'm using BJU 3 with my 3rd grader (8.5yo dd). There is constant reinforcement in the workbook of phonics rules, syllable division, literary techniques (main ideas, onomonopeia, similies, synonyms & antonyms, etc.). Stories are a mix of their own authors and characters, historical figures, Bible stories, and missionaries. Sometimes I think I'd prefer to use "real" living books instead, but this does a good job of covering all the bases.