Menu

Anyone tried the new Sneaky Chef to the Rescue cookbook?

I love Sneaky Chef and make many of her recipes on a regular basis. I also keep our freezer stocked with her frozen veggie purees that I put into other recipes as well. I love her flour blend, too and use it in most of my baking.

I noticed at Amazon that she has a new cookbook, Sneaky Chef to the Rescue: 101 All New Recipes. Has anyone tried it yet? Is it worth $11?

Thanks for posting this. I haven't tried any of her books and used to be against hiding veggies in my kids food because I thought they needed to learn to like them through repeated exposure. Well, the older my kids get, it's just not happening. So, in the mean time, why not sneak it in. I'm going to look for this cookbook today!:D

Thanks for posting this. I haven't tried any of her books and used to be against hiding veggies in my kids food because I thought they needed to learn to like them through repeated exposure. Well, the older my kids get, it's just not happening. So, in the mean time, why not sneak it in. I'm going to look for this cookbook today!:D

You know, I don't like the idea of tricking my kids, so I took a different approach with the book and let them know what I was doing and kind of made a joke of it:

"We're having ice cream for dinner and you have to eat it whether you like it or not, young man!"

"Oh no, not ice cream! Don't make us eat that, you mean, mean, mom!"

That said, I don't use the book much because it is a lot of work.:tongue_smilie:

I got a copy from our local library, so you might want to check there first. I wanted to let you know that it is probably best if you have access to a food processor to puree the veggies. You might be able to make them in a blender, but it would probably be frustrating. If you can borrow a food processor you can make most of the purees in an afternoon. I triple the batches and freeze them in a cupcake tin, which holds about 1/4 of puree. After they are frozen you can put them in a zip loc freezer bag and they should last for several months though I use them much quicker than that.

I'm not sure about the nutritional value of the veggie blends since they are cooked before you puree them. Also in some of the recipes the per serving amount of veggies is marginal. However, there is something about adding the veggie blend that makes her recipes so satisfiing.

Her baked goods recipes have been a life saver for me. Our family eats fairly healthy - brown rice, whole wheat breads/pasta, lots of fruits and veggies. However, I have brought my kids to tears with my healthly baked goods and pancakes. I had a hard time finding something healthy that my kids enjoyed, so many time I resorted back to my white flour recipes and pancake mix. My kids love her baked goods and I feel good about being able to make semi-healthy treats for them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Edited by Ferdie

You know, I don't like the idea of tricking my kids, so I took a different approach with the book and let them know what I was doing and kind of made a joke of it:

"We're having ice cream for dinner and you have to eat it whether you like it or not, young man!"

"Oh no, not ice cream! Don't make us eat that, you mean, mean, mom!"

That said, I don't use the book much because it is a lot of work.:tongue_smilie:

You know I never really considered it "tricking" my kids. I prepare our meals out in the open and my family could care less if it has puree veggies in it or not. They just want food that tastes good.

I make most of our food from scratch so I didn't consider her recipes more work than anything else I made. It does take me an afternoon to prepare and freeze about a months worth of puree. I have a large food processor though and my kids wash the veggies so it goes pretty quick.