Menu

Song School Latin

mazakaal

I'm thinking about getting this for my 2nd grader next year. Would I need the teacher book to go along with it? Have have a good basic understanding of beginning Latin. In other words, I've just about complete Latin Prep 1, so I know that much Latin. :001_smile: Is that enough for me to teach SSL without having to buy the teacher book?

No reason for the TM, even if you didn't know *anything* about Latin. Basically, SSL is just a little song each week with about 4 Latin vocabulary words (nominative, singular form only) imbedded in the song. There are a few little exercises to match the English to the Latin or fill-in-the-blanks, etc, but nothing that requires the TM at all. I was sort of annoyed that I'd bought it, sigh, but I gave it to a friend (who imagined at the time that she would need it, lol), so at least I felt better about doing that. ;)

It's a cute introduction to a few Latin words, and a way to make the very youngest children feel like they're "doing Latin". It's well crafted and the songs are fun. But that's all it is... :)

Yeah, I wish we hadn't purchased the TM. My dd is pretty much learning the vocab through the songs and doesn't even really need to be doing the workbook! I guess it's good to visually see the words, but it's really exposure for her right now anyway. She can say all of the words perfectly and can tell me their meaning just by listening to the cd. We're not that far into it though so maybe later on when more vocab is added it will be more useful.

Basically, SSL is just a little song each week with about 4 Latin vocabulary words (nominative, singular form only) imbedded in the song.

Actually, a few of the stories and songs embed words that aren't in the nominative singular, though you'll mostly see nominative singulars. (See for example, the Christmas Announcement on page 72, which uses plural nominatives and there's also a plural accusative as well.) Joseph's Dream, another story later on, for some reason uses an English plural ending for frater (fraters, instead of fratres, in constrast to the pastores, Latin plural of pastor, in the Christmas Announcement). As long as you are just focusing on the vocabulary (likely at this stage) and not the grammar then you should be okay.

It's a cute introduction to a few Latin words, and a way to make the very youngest children feel like they're "doing Latin". It's well crafted and the songs are fun. But that's all it is... :)

It really is best considered a fun, simple vocabulary program. There's really no need for the teacher's manual