Menu

?? about acrylic nails

My 16 yo dd got acrylic nails professionally done for her birthday, both for the cosmetic look of the nails and to help stop a nail-biting habit. And it's working! :hurray: She had them painted a very pretty dark blue.

However, she forgot that her aikido dojo is having a special guest sensei this weekend. The dojo rules are no nail polish but usually they're easy going about it. She def wants to have the color off, or at least muted for the guest sensei.

Can she remove the polish herself without damaging the nails? Or should she paint over her nails in a neutral color? Or other suggestions?

thanks--we're newbies at this artificial nail stuff

nandell

Edited by homeschoolin'mygirls
When--frustrated sigh--will I remember to proofread FIRST?

She needs to be sure to use non-acetone polish remover - regular polish remover would damage the acrylic. Once removing the polish, she can re-paint them in a neutral color, but she won't be able to cover the blue with a light color.

My only other suggestion would be to have the nails professionally removed once her real nails have grown out underneath and put a strengthening topcoat on them (over whatever polish). Removing them at home usually mutilates the real nails unless you're *very* careful because they grow out much weaker than they would without acrylic tips. I got acrylics at around her age and had them off & on for awhile and to this day my nails don't grow properly and are weaker than they used to be (my Mom had this same problem from them) - so I wouldn't encourage her to keep them *too* long!