Menu

Odd day, in a foil hat kind of way...

Here in our little area of CA, several communications lines were vandalized and all communication was down for most of the day-land lines, cell phones, internet, no way to call 911...the works. It certainly made people think a lot about the power of communication vandalism and about our dependency on the communication lines. There was talk about it being terrorism, a home-land security experiment, and so on.

For me, it made me really realize how much I use these modes of communication every day, how much I can get done when I can't talk on the phone or hang out on the internet, and how quickly the people I came into contact with today were willing to be flexible and make sure all was going as it should, particularly since we had such limited communication.

This was the really interesting part since it was our tutorial day. Everyone was so much more aware of what needed to be done, who was missing, and generally far more interactive while in person.

Interesting, reflective day! (Remember that here in CA we have no ice storms, no hurricanes, no nothing, save the very rare major earthquake, that actually disturbs our communication powers. :D )

I grew up in Silicon Valley (even before it was called that .....) so I can imagine how disconcerting that must have been.

BTW, I was just telling my sons, who don't remember CA well, that we could go to the mountains and the beach in the same day when we lived there. Here, we have to choose one or the other. I spent lots of weekends as a kid in Boulder Creek, with trips to The Boardwalk or Natural Bridges.