Menu

Reputation and Points - what is all that?

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry - I really bet this has been discussed before, but I've been through this whole thread, and I can't find it!!

So, can someone tell me what is all this and how is it determined?

So far, love most everything about the new board! I have to admit to a little homesickness for the ease of the old board - I loved the ease of perusing everything on it, but there's definitely more "fun" factor here, don'tja think? I'll get used to it!!

So, TIA!

Amy,

The idea is that when folks see a particularly outstanding post that they "rep" the poster. Those posters with the most outstanding posts will eventually accumulate little squares by their names. Looks like everyone so far has only a single little green square. I don't know exactly how the algorithm works for this board but other boards have a formula by which those when someone with a high rep reps someone else it's worth more points to the receiver than if someone of low rep, or few posts, reps them. I've also seen boards where you can negative rep a person if you don't like their post but I haven't seen it here.

It's not clear how this will play out on these boards. If the board culture is such that folks rep those with informational posts then you'll see the super helpful people with the highest reps. If they rep those that are witty and funny then the rep would indicate the political popularity of the poster.

Another function that it might serve is a private way of giving someone a "thumbs up" for something they have said without doing so publically (Remember the old "ITA" posts??)

When you rep someone you are given the opportunity to make a comment and you can explain to them why you repped them. When someone reps you, there will be a note of it in your user account. ('ll rep you so that you can see) It will tell you the particular message that you were repped on. The poster repping you is not revealed.

If you go to list of users an click at the top of the column which is titled "reputation" it will show those with the highest reps at the top. Right now those are the board administrators and this will give you an idea of what a high rep would look like.

Thank you! Ok, so I'm slowly getting it here. Someone had "repped" me earlier on a post, and I had no idea what it meant! Was I in trouble? Had I done something good? You see my quandry!!

So now I'm wondering, on someone else's post, what would I click on to "rep" them if I like their post?

Thank you so much for this very helpful reply! Hey, maybe I should "rep" you! Although it probably won't mean much from me yet...

The ability to rep someone else is called "rep power" and it looks like that admin determines this. It's possible to not have any rep power at all in theory. Nonetheless, seems like a nice way to let someone to know privately that you appreciated their post.

Seems like the reputation will be very helpful when choosing to do a buy/sell transaction with someone. I recall a few people on the old board post that they had a bad experience, but didn't give specifics. The Reputation feature here will change that. I'm looking forward to it, though since we're all "new" here it will probably take awhile to build our reps up.

Well, *I* am having a BLAST doling out reputation to people I recognize and admire :D

Now I'm on to repping for actual post content, lol.

I found out that you can only dole out "so much" rep at a time, and you have to wait a while before handing out rep to the same person again...;).

No, you can't see who gives you rep points.

make sure that you include a note that you were the one who rep'd them so they can return the favor *and* see what it is they like about your post! i missed that part at first, lol.

edited to add::

it is only letting me dole out 10 reps every 24 hours and I can't give rep to the same poster twice yet :-).

Since I'm already pretty familiar w/ many posters from the previous boards, i started doling out rep's to those I knew.

make sure you respond to posters who are helpful in their replies --click on the scales and let them know. This will start coming in pretty handy as more people gear up to buy and sell this spring.

If you click on "Members List" at the top in the blue bar, then click on the "Reputation" category, it will sort all the members by highest reputation first, then in alphabetical order where there's a tie. Y'all need to start dishing out reputation to other posters --I'm towards the top, lol. Somebody needs to bring me down a peg or two, hee hee. :P

Peek thanks for taking time to explain things.. It has helped me to understand it better :D

No, you can't see who gives you rep points.

make sure that you include a note that you were the one who rep'd them so they can return the favor *and* see what it is they like about your post! i missed that part at first, lol.

edited to add::

it is only letting me dole out 10 reps every 24 hours and I can't give rep to the same poster twice yet :-).

Since I'm already pretty familiar w/ many posters from the previous boards, i started doling out rep's to those I knew.

make sure you respond to posters who are helpful in their replies --click on the scales and let them know. This will start coming in pretty handy as more people gear up to buy and sell this spring.

If you click on "Members List" at the top in the blue bar, then click on the "Reputation" category, it will sort all the members by highest reputation first, then in alphabetical order where there's a tie. Y'all need to start dishing out reputation to other posters --I'm towards the top, lol. Somebody needs to bring me down a peg or two, hee hee. :P