Menu

CC: Science and History choices...

I'm interested in the AIG science curr. and David Barton's items for history. My dc are 8 and 6. Is it too young to start a "curriculum" using those items for these ages, because I would like to do it together, or would it be more beneficial waiting until they are older? Which specific items for AIG and David Barton would you recommend starting with? Also, does David Barton even have elem. homeschool items and could you give me your opinion on them? Thank you.

This is most definitely my opinion, based solely on my preferences, but, I prefer to leave formal science for junior high age and up. So, with my dd, we've done nature study and she's done topical sciencey studies as her interest has led (for the most part; we did do a human body study that tied in to our study of puberty and female issues she'll be experiencing in the near future). I keep a healthy stack of AIG endorsed books on hand, and she reads them on her own. I also have many of the Dk eyewitness books on hand.

As far as what AIG materials are appropriate for that age, I've found that the folks at AIG are great at answering questions about their products, so if you zap them an email or a phone call, I'm sure they'd be happy to direct you to appropriate materials for your dc's ages. :001_smile:

This is most definitely my opinion, based solely on my preferences, but, I prefer to leave formal science for junior high age and up. So, with my dd, we've done nature study and she's done topical sciencey studies as her interest has led (for the most part; we did do a human body study that tied in to our study of puberty and female issues she'll be experiencing in the near future). I keep a healthy stack of AIG endorsed books on hand, and she reads them on her own. I also have many of the Dk eyewitness books on hand.

As far as what AIG materials are appropriate for that age, I've found that the folks at AIG are great at answering questions about their products, so if you zap them an email or a phone call, I'm sure they'd be happy to direct you to appropriate materials for your dc's ages. :001_smile:

I didn't think to email them, but I will. I, too, feel that waiting until their older is better, but then sometimes I feel like they need something. We, too, do nature study and just indulge in lots of library books and discussion and lots of outside time. Thanks for your input.