Menu

AAS - What size are the tiles; choking hazard?

diaperjoys

How big are the AAS tiles? And how are the magnets adhered to the tiles? I'm wondering about using our fridge as a surface for the 6yo to do his spelling work, and then scooting the tiles up higher when we're finished. But if the tiles are a huge choking hazard, or are weakly attached to the magnet, or if the magnets don't 'stick' really well, then I'll have to think some more about this spelling program. I'd hate for a magnet or two to drop off and get swallowed by the baby.

How do ya'll have everything set up? What surface does the student use to do his work? Personal whiteboard? Fridge?

These tiles definitely would slide through a toilet paper tube, so yes, they proabably would be considered a choking hazzard. Our magnets stick securely, but no one in my house has put them in their mouth.

We have our magnets set up on two old cookie sheets. It is not my "ideal" set up, but it is better than life before magnets.

Jennie

The tiles are about 1/2", I think, and the magnets are self-adhesive. I didn't get the AAS magnets, so I can't tell you about those. I haven't heard of them falling off, but I will say that I use magnet tape that I bought from Michael's and they fall off pretty frequently. I am seriously considering getting the AAS magnets when I get the next level because I'm so irritated with losing magnets. They come flat, which I think would make a big difference - my rolled stuff has a bit of curve to it.

I have 2 girls in the same level, so I have our tiles set up on one large white board that we get out each day when we do spelling. I think it's the size Marie Rippel recommends; my dh got it from work when they were throwing some out as they were gutting a building. It's heavy, but I'm able to leave the tiles on it and when I leave it facing the wall, *my* baby doesn't get into the tiles. :)

If I were going to have 2 at 2 different levels, I think we would still use the one white board but do separate lessons. The thing is huge, and honestly, I don't know where I would put more than one! Maybe it's bigger than Marie recommends, come to think of it; it's really meant to be hung on a wall and if I had a place for it I would do that.

The tiles themselves are made of laminated paper (maybe cardstock?) and I don't see them as a huge choking hazard, but my boy is 19 months. HTH!

There is a new forum for AAS if you want to ask over there.

If the magnets were to come off, they would definitely be a choking hazard, since they're pretty small, and the tiles are just smaller than a toilet paper tube.

We use a 2' by 3' whiteboard, and you could just keep it on top of a desk or table to keep out of the baby's reach until it's time for the spelling lesson.

I'd consider a magnetic whiteboard that you could put away in a closet each day. For one thing, there are a LOT of tiles, and it will get old trying to move them up each day--2 sets of the alphabet plus other phonogram & syllable tiles, and eventually other tiles too. You'll lose the benefit of having them magnetized if you always have to scoot them up. You could take them off and put them in a baggie (or not magnetize them and keep them in a baggie). I put my white board away each day (not because of a baby, just because I didn't have room to hang it, LOL!).

I found a board at Walmart for $15 so it wasn't all that expensive. Some people make them for about that price too.

I've never had magnets come off, but if a baby had a tile & chewed on it, they certainly might.

HTH, Merry :-)

• 3 weeks later...

A good friend of mine bought a set of 3 nesting cookie sheets. She keep the tiles she's not using on the largest one, and then she and her son each have a sheet to play on during the lesson. I thought that was a great idea. She just nests them back together at the end of the lesson and slides them back onto the shelf.