Menu

Hake Grammar & Writing: Does *anyone* use the writing portion?

Sheila in OK

I am considering grammar options for next year for my will-be 6th grader. We have been fairly laid back up to this point. She did Primary Language Lessons in 2nd/3rd, we have dabbled in LLATL (which she hated), and she is working through Easy Grammar 5 this year (but doesn't seem to be retaining much). I want to step it up a bit for 6th grade, and I love the idea of an all-in-one program.

I've been searching the board for Hake Grammar opinions, and it seems that many love it for grammar but don't use the writing portion. I'm just curious why. Is the writing portion not complete enough? She is a good writer and loves writing fiction, I just want to expand her horizons a bit.

Also--since she has not done any diagramming, would it be better start in grade 5?

TIA!

When I HS'ed my nephew, I had him do only the grammar portion as well. I thought the writing portion was VERY simplified and a waste of time. I had him do other writing things because it seemed to be on a very basic level-way below where he was with grammar. Just my opinion, though.

My ds is using Hake 7, but I thought the writing was way above his skill level, which is not at grade level, btw. He is using Writing Strands 3 and WWE 3 this year.

As far as what level to start with, you can start on grade level, but the grammar is pretty advanced, IMO, especially in level 7 and 8. In Hake 7, there is grammar I know I didn't study until 12th grade, and there was just a discussion on the high school board about using Hake 8 for 9th/10th grade grammar.

If you start on grade level, and your dc begins to struggle, don't be afraid to slow things down. My ds was struggling, so we changed how we do things: day 1, I go over the lesson with him and we do the practice problems together; day 2, he does the first 15 of the review; day 3, he does the last 15 of the review.

HTH!

I do Hake and I was watching this thread and wondering the same thing! I can't stand their writing component. It almost looks like it was quickly added as an afterthought. I like the grammar but we do writing with Classical Writing or Florida Virtual.

We are using Hake Grammar and Writing for 6th grade. Yes, we do use the writing section of the text. The writing covers only the very basics of brainstorming for ideas, organization, topic sentences, the formation of a five paragraph essay, etc. The writing instruction is very dry, and if I did not have as much experience as I do after 13 years of home schooling, I'm not sure the writing instruction would be enough on its own. I find my self drawing on my years of experience to enhance the writing projects. Nonetheless, I stuck with the writing section becasue my DD is required to take a written test as a part of the California STAR test in 7th grade. This test is looking for the kind of writing development Hake offers. Perhaps the most useful part of this program are the dictation selections which re-enforce the grammar from the lessons. We do not do the journaling promts because my DD finds them uninteresting and uninspiring.

This program is identical in set-up to Saxon Math. While the repetition does seem to cement some of the grammatical ideas, I think to make knowledge of grammar a fluid part of writing takes years. I'm still learning!

I think the writing portion is actually very good and we have done some of it. I already had IEW though and much prefer it for this child. He likes to write but *hates* having his topic chosen for him. I know he needs to learn to write on a topic not of his choice before SAT's but we have some time yet. He's almost 12. I agree with a previous poster about the journal prompts. I very much like the idea of journaling but I can come up with better stuff than that.

When his little sister gets to this level, who knows. We may just use it. It seems like using WWE 1-4 could easily be a primer for it.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I should keep looking, at least as far as writing goes. My dd doesn't really enjoy being given topics to write about either, yet she loves to write. I don't want to stifle that but I do want to be able to give her more guidance than I am currently. I don't know, maybe I just need something like IEW.