Menu

mixing TWTM & AO

Ohdanigirl

Do any of you do this? I follow the reccomendations in TWTM almost to the letter and it has worked well, but my goal this year is to mix in some AO.

Let me explain a little better..I plan to keep following the basic principles in TWTM, but want to take advantage of the reading list at the AO web site. It would be more as extra reading. The boys love to read and I feel they should read as much as possible in English since in Mexico all they hear and see is Spanish. So for those of you that do this, how have you done it? How has it worked? And what changes did you have to make to mesh the two well? Any ideas would be great.

I have never used TWTM to the letter, so maybe I am not useful to you, but I have meshed parts of AO and TWTM for years and this year am using AO as my base- but only because the AO/HEO Year 7 fits with where we are in the 4 year history cycle (Medieval), and I never liked outlining Kingfisher (or anything) as a way of doing history in the Logic Stage.

If you just want to use the book lists from AO...just do it. It doesnt have to be any more complicated than that. If between AO and TWTM you end up with too many books to read...you will have to pick and choose. Remember that the AO books tend to be of a high reading level - higher than what would normally be considered the reading level for the age. For example in doing AO/HEO Year 7 with my 13 and 14year olds, I am reading perhaps half the books aloud. Books like Ivanhoe are not easy reads- and my kids both read at a high level. But as a read aloud- fantastic, and I get to enjoy it too.

Since many AO books are online, you can check out the style and reading level of many AO books beforehand. For my kids, some of the older books just dont resonate with them- they find them too old fashioned and cutesy, but my kids are modern and not especially sheltered. Consider the AO levels as suggestions only- many, many AO families use levels with a number below their childrens' grade level.

There are so many ways to use the AO books. Nature study books are great to add in. Literature and history books can be integrated with TWTM- but again, you may end up with too many.

If you join the AO Yahoo groups, you may find out which books are very popular.

hth

I have a pdf file that a kind person put together which places the readings from AO years 1-4 in a four year history rotation. That may be helpful to you. I am sure I found it through a post here on these boards, but I do not have a link to where I obtained the file . . . just the file itself. If you email me at jeffelbe@earthlink.net I will send you the file.

There is also a file Missey Gray put together that might be of help to you. You will want to download the AO/SOTW outline . . .

http://www.geocities.com/justahappygrl/

Adrianne in IL

Great! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't crazy, LOL. I will look into these resources and I accept that I may have to read aloud a bit...but then I can learn something too. I did a search of the threads, but am still working my way through them. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Danielle

We did that this year, although we just read the AO Year 1 readings and added SOTW1 and some ancient history read alouds. I made no attempt to coordinate the two chronologically.

Next year we'll mesh the two more deliberately. I just finished plotting out the weeks with Missy Grey's list (kindly posted above), which meshes SOTW and AO history readings chronologically. Then I just plugged in the additional AO readings (for example, the Burgess Animal Books and Pilgrim's Progress) and VOILA! :001_smile:

We did that this year, although we just read the AO Year 1 readings and added SOTW1 and some ancient history read alouds. I made no attempt to coordinate the two chronologically.

Next year we'll mesh the two more deliberately. I just finished plotting out the weeks with Missy Grey's list (kindly posted above), which meshes SOTW and AO history readings chronologically. Then I just plugged in the additional AO readings (for example, the Burgess Animal Books and Pilgrim's Progress) and VOILA! :001_smile:

:iagree:

Yes that list is great, I think ut is exactly what I needed. Someties you just need a good push in the right direction.