Menu

Is this do-able?? Opinions wanted!

diaperjoys

We're trying to finish up curriculum purchases for next year. Would some of you mind looking over this list and telling me if it is realistic and do-able?

In the fall our children will be ages 6, 5, 3, and 1. I'm fairly happy with the BJU things we are using, but I want History, Science, and Bible combined as much as possible, lots of read-alouds, and avoid worksheets like the plague.

DS6

Finish BJU Phonics/English 1

Finish BJU Handwriting 1

Finish BJU Math 1

Spelling Evan-Moor Building Spelling Skills 1

Piano

DS6 & DS5 together w/ DS3 tagging along

SOTW, go through first half of vol. 1 w/ some AG reading and mapwork + VP History Cards & songs only, no worksheets

Bible, catechism, psalms, VP Bible Cards

Science...not sure here. Maybe Noeo, or something homemade. Mammals, Human Body, Reptiles, etc.

DS5

Finish BJU K5 Beginnings - just the phonics/reading portions, skip the heritage studies & science.

BJU Math K

DS3

Kumon workbooks, then

Rod & Staff preschool books

How does this look? Achievable? Too much?

I just want to make a suggestion to you that you might not be far enough down the road to see yet. The REASON there are worksheets in the VP stuff, and in the BJU stuff for that matter, is because the dc NEED to write that much. They need to write to solidify their skills in writing and spelling. Can I be tacky and ask if you are planning on having more kids or if this is it? You might want to consider waiting on some things to buy a year for the younger so they can do things together. For instance, you could do a survey of american history using Beautiful Feet or a CLP book, then start SOTW with the VP cards when your dc are 2nd, 1st, and K. You could even wait till they are 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. Then they could all do it together. No harm would be done to your oldest, and it would be more energy efficient for you. Just a thought. Obviously I don't have stairsteps, but I do know that I jumped the gun on some things and tried really hard when dd was young on some things that would have been just as good a few years down the road.

For your science, absolutely keep it together and keep it simple! No need for the BJU science now. With those ages you could consider the Let's Read and Find Out books, the Apologia Elementary (especially the astronomy, fun, fun!), usborne books on topics like magnets or prisms/light. Anything that has some explanation and then some hands-on would be great. Just have fun! I use the BJU science and like it, but I'd wait until the 4th grade book before starting, just my personal opinion. So your dc at that point would be 4th, 3rd, and 2nd.

On the Bible stuff, they're a little young to do the cards fully. My dd didn't really get into Victor Journey Through the Bible (the most interesting supplement you use with the VP cards) when she was that age. BTW, we started the VP history and Bible when she was in 1st. The Bible stuff we put aside, and I'm actually thinking of resuming it now that she's going into 5th. At this point we could double-time it and still finish before Omnibus. No harm done. The history, well I wish I had done it the way I'm describing to you, spending more years on american and starting VP later. That's a long time to go, going from 1st to 7th in Omnibus! I guess you're looking at SOTW and whatnot too. You'll sort it out.

In any case, my main encouragement was to suggest you NOT blow off worksheets. Your dc will need to write more than you think to solidify their skills, and pretty soon you're going to be looking for ways to weave it in. If you start when they're young and keep it pleasant, brief, etc., it will be no big deal. The BJU science has quite a bit of writing, and the BJU reading has them answering questions in complete sentences. This is important, because when they're writing all those things, they're learning to spell those words. They're solidifying their skills.

Just a word to the wise! :)

PS. Love your name! :)

As to whether or not your outline looks doable, I'd say yes. It doesn't look like too much.

With history, since you only plan on going through 1/2 of SOTW 1, I don't see that the VP cards would be a burden to add. As to whether your dc will be into them or not, as OhElizabeth mentioned, I couldn't say.

HTH

I started SOTW when my crew was 2, 4, and 6. We had a great time and plowed through the first 3 books in 2 1/2 years at the request of the kids. They loved the activities, read-alouds, maps, and timeline (our version of naratives). The last year has been a state and president study at the request of my middle child. Now we are ready to start the final book. My oldest is 9 1/2 and ready for the reading level of the supplemental reading and outlining. The other two will be just right to start over with SOTW in a year.

I personally would not try for another history program if you don't think that you are ready for SOTW/VP. Spend the whole year doing great read alouds and snuggling and pick up next year.