Menu

What time of year to start Kinder??

My 5yo dd will be finished with Pre-K at the school she currently attends, which is run by our church, mid-May. I understand that Kinder under the WTM paradigm is mostly a prep for 1st grade. I still do want to make it a more-formal thing, given she has been in a more-formal setting for the past 8 or so months.

Since she has no idea about "summer vacation", should I go ahead and just start up in June? Frankly, I'm SOOOO excited to get going that I just don't want to wait! (We're already dong 100EZ and some formal Bible at home.) Here in Almost Mexico, due to the blistering hot and monsoonal summers (TORRENTIAL rain June - September) the public school year ends in May and picks up again the first week in August, just so the kids can get a break INSIDE during the hottest part of the year.

I have a very busy schedule and summer is more "down time" for me because I am hsing my 5 during the trad. school year. Because of this, I have taught my last three preschoolers how to read during the summer before kindergarten - it was much nicer to get that out of the way before fall (and I love teaching reading one on one with my youngers) when I had all the other teaching/mothering/AWANA responsibilities. Of course all I was doing was 20-30min a day or reading but it was a great plan to get it done over the summer and free up my fall duties.

lisaj, mom to 5

My older dd will turn 6 in June. We are taking off June and starting in July, which will be the start of her 1st grade year. Our June has swimming lessons and a couple of art camps, so we're just busy.

My younger dd has a (end of) September birthday, which would technically mean that she misses the cutoff. However, I'm planning on using her birthday. She turns 4 in September and we will start pre-k in October. It gives her a few months (as opposed to starting in July), but I don't see why we should wait a whole extra year.

We're trying the system this year. It may well turn out that they both would prefer to "start" their school year at the same time, but I'm thinking that I can get away with saying it will happen after their birthday.

But my main point still stands: do whatever works for you. :)

Yes! I would definitely start whenever you're ready. We, too, live in that blistering summer sun and trust me, later in the year (November/December) you'll relish the break - for the holidays and also for our nice weather. Also, this will help if you have a lot of unexpected things (sick days!) come up during this first transitional year.

I see us heading this way, as well.

Have fun!