Menu

BC highschoolers - what does the law say?

The school my 8th grader was in up until January refused to "register" him as a homeschooler when we pulled him out.

When I look at the "legal stuff" on the BC homeschooling pages, I don't see anything that states that a school can refuse to register a homeschooler. I only see it say that a parent can choose any school she wants to register a child in and that school HAS to provide resources for the child.

The school MAY refuse to let the child audit classes or participate in activities, but there's nothing to say that the school can refuse to register the child.

Does anyone know something about this that I don't know?

I'm wondering, because next fall my oldest son will move up to a new school. What do I do if that school refuses to register him? Why should I have to register through a private school if there's a public school right here?

Here's some "legalese":

"Registration

13 (1) A parent of a child who is required under section 12 to provide the child with an

educational program must register the child on or before September 30 in each year with

(a) a school of the parent’s choice that is operating in British Columbia...

If, in accordance with subsection (1), a parent is entitled to register his or her child

with a school or, in the case of an eligible child or immigrant child, with a francophone school,

(a) the board that has jurisdiction over the school must ensure that the principal, vice

principal or director of instruction responsible for that school registers the child....

A school or francophone school that registers a child under this section must provide

the child with access to educational services in accordance with the regulations."

There is nothing in any of that stating that a school can refuse to register a child. And yet this principal is refusing.

I'm considering making a big, fat stink about this. I guess I'll start by double-checking with the school that they are, indeed, refusing to register my child.

the school should register him but the resources they are required to provide might be access to the library, etc. rather than monetary. (Maybe access to textbooks?)

I would call the school back and ask them to clarify this piece of legislation for you. :001_smile:

It's not likely you'd want to be registered there anyways if they're being uncooperative. You don't have to choose a private school because there are a list of public schools that will register you. Maybe not local though.

When I first started this journey years ago, I tried to convince our local board to accommodate us. I explained why I thought it was to their benefit as well as ours. No go. This district is pretty (or at least was) closed minded.

Jennifer,

Here is a link to the B.C. Ministry of Ed re. homeschool registration:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/home_school/homeschlreqandleg.htm

Seems pretty clear to me that the public schools within your district have a obligation to register your children as independent homeschoolers!

What isn't clear, however, is how the local public school is supposed to support your learning plan with loaned material or access to educational programs should you request such support. Jennifer, I've never had to approach my local public school for learning resources, testing services, or participation in specific school offerings (I am enrolled with a Distributed Learning School, not registered), but I do know that not all districts are consistent in this regard. Chatter within BC's homeschool community seems to indicate this is likely because school boards have discretion on what constitutes "support," and some districts are "friendlier" than others.

As far as registration goes, however, this should be a no brainer for your local public school(s). Sheesh!

Well, I liked the fact that if I register here, they leave me alone, LOL.

I don't do any paperwork, show anyone our work or have to do anything to "prove" that we're educating the kids. It's not that I'm lazy, but I hate doing busy-work to prove learning. We do lots of reading and listening to lectures and I don't make my kids write something down for everything we read or listen to. Does that make sense?

So, I guess my next question is: with whom can I register in BC that will be completely hands-off for grades 10 - 12?

I don't do any paperwork, show anyone our work or have to do anything to "prove" that we're educating the kids. It's not that I'm lazy, but I hate doing busy-work to prove learning. We do lots of reading and listening to lectures and I don't make my kids write something down for everything we read or listen to. Does that make sense?

So, I guess my next question is: with whom can I register in BC that will be completely hands-off for grades 10 - 12?

Traditional Learning Academy (TLA) in Surrey registers homeschoolers all over BC (as opposed to enrolling, although TLA does both). If you are registered, it is completely hands off, and you still get about $150 for learning resources.

Here's their website:

http://www.schoolathome.ca/node/18

I'm sure there are others, but TLA comes to mind first.

HTH

You only loose that freedom if you "enroll" in a DL program. Registering is fulfilling the law without subscribing to someone else's program.

Jennifer,

If you’re seeking to provide your children with learning that is completely outside of B.C.’s prescribed learning outcomes, without oversight or accreditation by public, independent, or private schools in the province, you are required to register as a homeschooler. Whether you register at your local public school, or at a B.C. Distributed Learning School (public or independent), it makes no difference to your independence. You call the shots and assume full responsibility for your children’s education no matter who you are registered with. You are completely in charge with no accountabilities back up to the registering school, so long as you have a learning plan.

Now, when a family enrolls their children in a brick and mortar school (public, private or independent), or a Distributed Learning school (public or independent), then things change! Your child is now enrolled B.C.’s public, private, or independent system. While the children may school at home, there is now oversight, accountability re. provincial curriculum, and accreditation is some form or another.

The option to enroll (as opposed to register), is viewed by some B.C. homeschoolers as a viable choice despite their wanting independence. Some Distributed Learning (DL) schools (largely the independent ones) have considerable flexibility in what a child’s learning plan looks like. While you may not necessarily be given absolute free rein to deliver the education you desire for your children, you can have considerable input as to the approach and resources you use. Independent DL’s vary in how flexible they are, and also differ in how (or even if) parents can receive financial compensation for school resources they purchase with personal funds. Often, B.C. homeschoolers “shop†for a DL school that provides them with an optimal blend of independence and oversight that meshes with their own unique educational plan.

At the high school level (grades 10,11 and 12) things can get really interesting for B.C. homeschoolers. Currently, the funding formula is such that students can enroll for select courses only. Say, for example, you were completely independent for all subject areas during your son’s grade 11 year, but for whatever reason you wanted to outsource Physics 11 and Accounting 11. You are free to enroll your son in those classes at your local high school and he would attend there when required. Alternatively, you could enroll for those classes with a DL school who had these course offerings. Teaching support, materials and supplies, grading, testing, and accreditation are rolled out for those classes only, but your son completes the courses at home.

Jennifer, much of this you may already know (my apologies to you for being so longwinded, if you do), but I sensed you were feeling uncomfortable with all this “register†vs. “enroll†stuff, and what it means for your independence.

When you get right down to it, B.C. is HS friendly, and there are many educational options for homeschoolers.

Michelle,

Thanks for delving into this so deeply. I was getting confused about "enroll" vs. "register", and I hadn't heard from ANYONE that you could pick and choose 11th and 12th grade classes.

I am almost positive that is NOT offered here locally (because no one I know has mentioned it). I believe you are allowed to do part of your day in the brick and mortar building and part of your day doing distance ed classes, but you can't choose to do some classes in the school (or as distance ed) and some of your own independent curriculum.

My understanding so far has been that everything is either/or. You can be independent, OR you can get your whole curriculum from the school district.

I'd love to know which DL school offers things like Physics to homeschoolers without requiring them to participate in the rest of the Dogwood curriculum.

Rose,

Holly at NWCC is looking into how to enroll high school homeschoolers into CC classes there if they don't have a "principal" or DL advisor handling their curriculum. She is confident they will find a solution.

I've decided that this is something we'll reserve for Alaric's senior year. But I'm going to keep the conversation up so we know what to work toward.

Jennifer,

I hope I’m not overstepping here …

I’m thinking you may want to consider contacting the public DL school for your area. I say this for a few reasons:

• You can find out what their high school offerings are and how they deliver their courses. Some are paper-based, others are on-line, some are teacher led, some are self-paced, some are semester based, others can be completed in 12 months, etc. etc;
  • You can talk about enrolling for single courses. They will provide you with some guidance to what extent (if at all) the course has a prerequisite. Perhaps they’ll need a little info from you to confirm the course is a good fit for the child given his prior learning in the area of study;
  • If AP courses are of interest to you, you can find out about those too.
  • You’ll have an opportunity to discuss the writing of provincial exams, whether you want your son to complete an entire course for credit beforehand, or just write an exam, or skip the entire thing completely; and
  • (Perhaps most importantly) they’ll probably explain to you fully the options you have for courses at your local public high school. They will be knowledgeable in the public delivery of high school courses, whether it’s DL or brick and mortar, in your area.

I’m not suggesting you register (or enroll) with them by any means, but I think the exercise might be beneficial. You can know first hand, clearly what options are available to you (and what the rules are) if you want to pursue something thru’ your local public school or within the public system.

I’d also like to suggest you contact an independent DL (off the top of my head, I’d pick the Traditional Learning Academy) and ask them similar questions. Because some independent DLs register (not enroll) a number of independent homeschoolers, they could probably help you find some answers to:

1. the willingness of B.C.’s colleges/universities to accept “Dogwoodless†homeschool applicants.

2. whether some colleges allow homeschooling high schoolers to dual enroll

3. what level of support they provide to their independent (registered) homeschoolers. Maybe you can do your own thing completely, yet have access to career/college/univ. guidance, purchase discounts, or ????

Cheers!

Rose,

Holly at NWCC is looking into how to enroll high school homeschoolers into CC classes there if they don't have a "principal" or DL advisor handling their curriculum. She is confident they will find a solution.

I've decided that this is something we'll reserve for Alaric's senior year. But I'm going to keep the conversation up so we know what to work toward.

I so want to keep doing what I want to do, which is what I'm doing now (how's that for a tongue twister). But I don't want life to be difficult for my kids once they've completed grade twelve. I know as my kids get older they will have more of an input with the direction we take but for now I'm kind of trying to sort out a "plan". I love a plan. I love a plan well in advance. Even if the plan changes, I love plans. lol! :001_smile:

And now I need coffee . . . I am seriously short on caffeine.

Oh, and thanks Jennifer for plowing the way . . . keep up the good work . . . I'm cheering from this neck of the woods! :001_smile:

OKay; I just found the ministry of Ed. explanation for this:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/policy/policies/distributed_learning_homeschooling.htm

The big difference here is age. Ninth grade and under - you can either register as a homeschooler OR enroll in a DL program.

10th - 12th grade - you can do BOTH!

This is very cool. It gives us additional options and I'm definitely going to look into it. Thank you so much, Michelle, for pointing this out. I would have never known otherwise!

More info., Rose.

Holly sent me an email this morning. For homeschoolers under 18, they will ask for written parent's permission to attend the course, plus permission from the instructor teaching the course! No principal or DL coordinator permission required.

She said be sure to enroll super early. So, if my son wants to go to a class in his senior year of high school, he should enroll in February of his Junior year. Then when the course schedule comes out in March, he should go in and talk to a counsellor who will start the process of getting the instructor's permission.

Pretty neat, though, huh?

I also found online on the DL classes that they have foreign language classes like Japanese (which one of my sons is studying), along with things like chemistry and physics.

I think all of this just got waaaay easier.