Menu

Grammar question

jabuford

My kids don't like Rod and Staff. They have used Growing with Grammar 3-5 and First Language lessons. We went to an Abeka curriculum meeting today, and they like the workbook style. I have heard many negative comments about Abeka so I am scared to buy it. I need something with repetion and has workbook. Does anyone know a program like this? Grade 6 and no I don't want growing with grammar.

Thanks

:lurk5:

I was just about to post something similar so I look forward to the replies. Last year I switched my oldest dd to Abeka b/c she was bored with R&S. I HATE ABEKA!! I can't really pinpoint it but it just doesn't seem to teach the concepts the way I like (or maybe I'm just too used to R&S's style..lol). So now I'm struggling with what to use next. Or if we need anything at all. :confused:

Guest jennifersikora

We use Analytical Grammar. We started with the Junior Analytical Grammar. I felt like you because they did not like all the other curriculums (we had tried Bob Jones, Abeka, and Shurley).

When we found this one, it clicked with my kids. It can be very expensive, but I have a JAG set that I would be willing to sell pretty cheap. It is like brand new. You can check them out at http://www.analyticalgrammar.com.

You can email me at sandjsikora@gmail.com if you are interested.

ABeka beats grammar to death every year. And unless you do the DVDs or buy the teacher's curriculum, there will *not* be enough writing.

You might consider Climbing to Good English. It isn't fancy-schmancy and glossy like ABeka, but it's pretty comprehensive, and it's a workbook.