Menu

Looking for suggestions for science in the fall.

Alana in Canada

First of all, the way things are at the moment, I cannot wrap my head around the "freedom" of Nature Study--so I don't want that!

We will be schooling year-round.

I need something in August. We'll be completeing a study on the Human body this Spring. Then we'll TRY and use Apologia's Flying Creatures in the summer (all the units on bugs, since summer is when we can find them!) --I'm not thrilled with this book but I figure we should use it since we have it and it cost a small fortune--

So, I want something with experiments (and supplies easy to find) and follow-up info.

For example, our little Human Body unit I've cobbled together goes like this:

Look at Kingfisher spread. Discuss. Do an experiment or four, Take and label diagram of the area (eye, skeleton, heart, whatever) (Enchanted Learning is so great for this.)

Move on.

I got Van Cleeve's "Human Body for Everybody" as a source for experiments--and I was highly impressed with it. Are there others that are comparable? What about her astronomy book? (We live in an area though with TONS of light pollution and it'll be too cold to be outside much from October onwards....)

Oh--and I'd like to correlate with our History--we'll be on Chapter 30 of SoTW2 by then. Columbus, Magellan, Gutenburg, Shakespeare, etc.

I need something for 12-13 weeks before a month break around Christmas.

TIA.

There are a lot of great books with activities for earth science - Van Cleeve has at least one. You could do rocks and minerals too. Learn to identify them then go on rock collecting walks. Oceans, rivers, mountains, beaches, caves, hot springs, and other natural land formations would be great destinations for summer field trips.

That is our plan for summer/fall science this year and it isn't bothered by the city lights.

Perhaps a different Science in a Nutshell kit would appeal more? We will be using Atoms and Molecules books along with the free downloadable experiment/definition pages from the NOEO science website. Easy to do, easy to find supplies. Our library has a couple of the books available. Perhaps this might work for you?

Yeah, I was a bit flip--but you notice I did mention that that would work for next year. I liked the idea of caves and such--geological formations, I guess. But rocks themselves, all by themselves just seem ho hum.

Their weather kit looked OK. I'm worried about shipping costs, though.

I'm going to look up that NOEO site mentioned.

While you're looking at the NOEO website for the experiment worksheets, you might just look at the curriculum offerings too. We really enjoyed their Physics program and because it relies mostly on living books (rather than a single text), you'd find flexibility in adding in additional history readings alongside it. It may take longer than the time-frame you mentioned, but I found that some of the weekly assignments could be done in just a couple of days.

If not physics, they offer chemistry and biology. And experiment kits are available too.

Have you looked at ScienceWorks? This sounds right up your alley. Also, tons of fun for the kids without too much parental prep. I have not known of a single person that used this curriculum that didn't like it - so it appeals to a wide variety of learning/teaching styles.

"Space" and "Geology" would fit with your studies. And, we cooked up rocks and ate them with this study. Rocks are fun, especially when you can eat them!