Menu

Physical Education

MommyJo

I have only seen a few physical education programs for homeschoolers and some that could be "adapted". I was hoping you could help me find one that would be a great fit for our family.

Our sons are 5 & 3. They are great physical athletes. We want a program that has some relay type races and activities that include running, jumping, etc. not the programs that just have "outside games" like jumping inside a hula hoop.

We looked into Horizons PreK-2 and thought it was nice (although we only got a one page preview) and we could use it for many years however the price is a pitfall and I can't find it used ANYWHERE.

We are using Horizons Health K this year and would love to have something that gets us outdoors really getting rowdy and burning off some energy. My children hate being cooped up and my oldest has SPD and CRAVES movement such as climbing, running, bouncing.

Any suggestions would be helpful, maybe you all can come up with some I haven't seen. THANKS!

You might check on the requirements for Cub Scout Sports belt loops and pins; they also include physical fitness and health requirements as part of the requirements for completing the yearly badges.

You might check out the Boy Scout merit badge books for physical fitness, too, but those will be geared toward older boys. Scouting shops will also carry booklets covering various outdoor and indoor games for boys, most of which involve some degree of physical activity.

I don't see why you would purchase a curriculum for children that age to do what is natural for them to do anyway? They want to run and play....let them...take them to the park...go at it. No curriculum needed.

So you want a curriculum that teaches group games, specifically for outdoors? First, I would think that it would be hard to implement with only two very small children, only one of which would really be interested in even following the game rules. Second, what game do you want to play, probably could find the instructions online for free. Let's assume you were able to get a group of children together on a weekly basis for a PE class. Teach the game the first week, and then spend the next few weeks playing and reinforcing the rules. Again, no curriculum needed.

I would not worry to much about it at this age. A few years down the road, ask your city/count Rec dept to start a HS P.E. Many already offer this, and others probably would if they knew there was a need. If that doesn't work, start your own PE class, inviting other HSers of like age.

A curriculum to teach health, okay, I see that, but a curriculum for PE, especially at that young age, I don't see that at all.

What I've told my children is that they must do a fall and a spring sport. It can be a team sport or something like pilates/yoga/karate/swimming, but they must do *something*.

For DD that isn't proving to be difficult. She wants to do it ALL. lol So far the plan is gymnastics/cheerleading (she'll join the same squad her cousins have been on the past few years) as well as karate, ice skating or dance. :lol:

My sons on the other hand might just have to be forced into physical activity. :p The plan is to do yoga daily with all of the kids. my MIL team-teaches the boys with me and we'll just join in what she's already doing.

Regena,

I had never even thought of Scouts. Our area is so limited in what they offer children that the only class I have yet to find is an all girls gymnastic class! The co ops offer PE at the 7-12 grade level only and that's a 35 minute drive away and even city sports don't begin until the age of 6. Like I said previously, my son has SPD and it's crazy how much his body has to be going sometimes. They both spend plenty of time outside but he's wanting more "fun" activities like his old OT used to do with him. She had some wonderful relay ideas as well as some structured trampoline activities, etc. and it helped him sleep better at night, he was calmer indoors, etc. all because he finally was burning some of that SPD energy!

Becky,

I might just have to adopt your yoga idea! This would be a wonderful activity to calm my oldest after he comes in. Because of his sensory issues, his body has to be going 24/7 but if he gets some really upbeat, energy burning exercises, it starts to, I guess, "curb his sensory appetite" and yoga would be a wonderful activity for him to settle down to!! Thanks!

Bosket,

I don't think you completely understood the question. I'm sorry if things came out in a different way than intended, I'm not all that great at getting out what I mean on a post. It was the group games that I didn't want. I wanted things like relay races, running activities, etc. Things that my oldest could do on his own if his brother didn't want to join in (the 3 year old is only included because he likes to tag along and be the "big boy and I don't like to leave any of my boys out just because they are little). As for why I would want a PE book, as I stated earlier I want some ideas for relays, etc. My oldest just came from the local city school's preschool program where he had a structured PE class and he loved it. When we started homeschooling I told him this was HIS schooling and that if he had anything that he wanted to learn or have for this purpose to just let me know. Something he requested was centers which we agreed to and he now has his centers. Another was foreign language, starting with German, and lots of it (it's his passion in life) and we bought Powerglide German and I promised that if he completed this program and was ready to move on that he could choose his languages from here on out. The other thing he wanted and it now begging me to do PE activities and he's mentioned certain relays and games that I don't know. I'm not trying to structure his whole play but I don't think doing a few relays 3 days a week for a few minutes, is going to inhibit his childhood play, in fact, I think it will teach him to follow directions and rules in different settings even better. So just wanted to clarify those things so you knew a little bit more about what I was looking for. When I say curriculum, more or less, I am looking for a book with relays, obstacle course ideas, and even some games that require only a couple of players. The reason I looked into homeschooling is that, since I have a teaching background, I know that most PE books are written for ps and just will not work in other settings. We are all pretty outdoorsy individuals in this family and I think that it would be a wonderful thing to add to our family time.

"The out of sync child has fun". Have you read it? I guess I assume anyone with a child who has SPD has read "The out of sync child". This is by the same author. My OT gave us pages and pages of activity ideas. You might check with the OT.

I haven't heard of this book but I will definately be looking into it. We no longer see an OT because of my son's wonderful health insurance. They have discontinued paying for his OT about a year ago and I have been fighting since in trying to get him back into it. He loved it and was thriving quite nicely. When he had speech issues (caused from a traumatic birth & not breathing for the first 3 minutes), they did not pay for any of it except for the initial testing. I'm wondering if there is any programs through the state that I can get that can help us to get OT paid for. We used to go through the states Tennessee Early Intervention Services (they are the ones who initially recognized his SPD even though they were there for speech and they were doing OT with him as well). Having an OT was such a benefit and he loved the TIPS lady from TEIS that used to come out. I cried when it was her last time :(

Anyways, I will definately without a doubt be purchasing this book~! I can't wait to see the ideas that they have~! Since it's tailord to SPD, I know the activities will work out wonderfully~! THANKS THANKS THANKS~! Is there any other SPD books that you know of for any other purposes. I'm familiar with the Out of Sync child but I have rarely if ever seen any other good books on SPD. Thanks~!

There are some great kids' yoga DVDs out there, you can also look into Pilates.

I actually have tons of pilates videos, a few mats, etc. I had just never thought my children would be able to sit still that long but I bet if I gave them a good running outside first they would love it. My youngest has tried to imitate some of the motions I was doing one time and it was absolutely adorable, not to mention it's good for destressing and calming down. Just what we need sometimes :D I'll have to look into kids yoga and pilates, I never knew they made them.