Menu

Chili from dry beans. Does anyone have a recipe? Purdy please?

Best chili. EVER.

1 lb. dried pinto beans

3 T chili powder

2 T dehydrated onions

1 T granulated garlic

1 tsp. oregano

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Wash beans. Put into pot with spices. Cook until done, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, brown 1 lb. ground beef (if desired), and drain. Add meat to the beans with an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and two 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes. Simmer to blend flavors. ENJOY!!

I love this Boilermaker Tailgate Chili recipe from AllRecipes.com. Just have your beans soaked and cooked beforehand. We get local grassfed beef for a really great price, so I just use beef and skip the sausage. And I don't use as much meat as the recipe calls for, because 3 lbs for 10 servings seems extremely excesssive. Also, you can omit the bacon bits and beer without ruining the flavor.

Now I want chili instead of stir fry for dinner!

Put beans to cook with which liquid? Water? Approximately how much?

I know, too many questions, but I'm thick like that. :P

Sorry--I just now saw this. I assume you mean me, because I had to call my friend who gave me this recipe w/ the very same question.

She just laughed. :confused:

I put water in. More than enough to cover the beans. Then I try to keep an eye on it, because that's not enough water. You have to add loads more, but I don't want watery chili, so I do it some at a time since I don't know how much.

Have I ever told you what a good cook I am? No? That's because I'm not. :lol: