Menu

Could someone please explain to me...

why my almost 6yod can write our phone number and say each number while she writes it, but she cannot tell me which number is 7, 8, 9, 10? Our phone number has a 7 and an 8. I am baffled to say the least. I have reviewed with her over and over what each number is and she can never identify those numbers. We have the same issue with phonics. She seems to be "phonetically(sp?) challenged" . I cannot get her to blend sounds unless I help her with each sound and then a lot of times as soon as she hears the last sound she makes up a word using the last sound she heard. What am I doing wrong here???

why my almost 6yod can write our phone number and say each number while she writes it, but she cannot tell me which number is 7, 8, 9, 10? Our phone number has a 7 and an 8. I am baffled to say the least. I have reviewed with her over and over what each number is and she can never identify those numbers. We have the same issue with phonics. She seems to be "phonetically(sp?) challenged" . I cannot get her to blend sounds unless I help her with each sound and then a lot of times as soon as she hears the last sound she makes up a word using the last sound she heard. What am I doing wrong here???

Good question, I'm here for an answer not to give the answer. My almost 6 yr old is reading Bob books & some Suess stuff. She knows our home & cell numbers but gets 6,7, 8 & 9 mixed up when they stand alone every time!!! It driving me batty and makes me feel I can't go on with the teens until she gets it. ?!?!

You are not doing anything wrong. It's a little early to think she has a learning difficulty yet. Sometimes kids just aren't ready to learn certain things. If you keep in mind that learning is really developmental, you won't be as age conscious (hard as that is). Keep in mind that children learn at different rates.

Keep working on it.

Annette

Guest teachermom3

Maybe she is just not a visual learner. My ds, 6, would not learn his letters. He could point them out, he could sound out some words, but if you point to a letter and ask him to say it, no dice. I discovered he was a conceptual learner. If I attached a picture to the letter Mountain, for M he would look at the M, say "Mountain, Mmmmm, M" totally backwards from how others learn. But, hey, that's his style.

Maybe your dd just learns in her own way. She'll get it. Maybe through some back door.

I couldn't read until 3rd grade and ended up with a 4.0 in my Master's degree in English - go figure :001_huh:

She'll get it.