Menu

Anyone Else Have Local Classical Schools/Co-ops Nearby?

Hi all,

With Classical Education continuously gaining momentum, this is just something I'm curious about.:)

We are very lucky to have in our area a homeschooler's "Classical Study Center". The group meets twice a week, uses "The Well Trained Mind" as a guide and accommodates 1st through 12th grade. The study center is the brain child of a group of local homeschooling parents who follow the classical method. Hired tutors teach the students in history, literature, Latin, logic, grammar, writing and nature studies for the younger grades. On off days students have assignments to be completed from the study center as well as completing their studies in subjects not offered at the study center (math, science, art, etc..).

We attended the study center last year when ds was 5/6 and really enjoyed it:). Due to family circumstances we weren't able to participate this year but hope to again in the future.

Working cooperatively with other families and not having to bear the full brunt of the teaching load was fantastic. Having a built in support system was really nice too. Having to compromise on certain things, and not being fully in control of our curriculum was difficult at times but well worth the experience and was outweighed by the positives.

As an added bonus we were able to do some fun group activities such as a Medieval Feast and a Renaissance Fair where we could invite family and friends to allow them a peek into what we do as homeschoolers.

So, I was just wondering if anyone else has something similar in their area.. and what their thoughts are(positive and negative) on the whole idea in general.:)

they've had one north of the city for years and will now establish one in the south. I'm thrilled. For $1500 per student, my kids attend twice a week and receive instruction in Latin, grammar, history, literature, art, music and writing. We are so looking forward to next year when I can send my oldest two.

We have one in our area that is only a few years old but enormously popular. Students attend the school twice per week for lecture from a paid teacher. Then do homework the other three days from home.

If we had the money, (I think about $3,000 per year, per child) I would send my kids. Here's the link:

http://www.coramdeoacademy.org/

Wow! That looks fantastic! The one in our area is only in it's 2nd year and isn't nearly as large (but also a bit less expensive...lol!).

Here's the link to ours:

Rivendell Study Center

There are 2 classical private schools.

One of them gives you the option to take a few classes, without being fully enrolled. Taking a class makes the child eligible to participate in their extra clubs and activities.

We also have Classical Conversations. One thriving group that maxed out their numbers this year and 3 more that are forming in suburbs.

I like all of the options. It means that there are shades of gray to our decision. Not just: homeschool or public school.

There are 2 classical private schools.

One of them gives you the option to take a few classes, without being fully enrolled. Taking a class makes the child eligible to participate in their extra clubs and activities.

We also have Classical Conversations. One thriving group that maxed out their numbers this year and 3 more that are forming in suburbs.

I like all of the options. It means that there are shades of gray to our decision. Not just: homeschool or public school.

Those sound great as well! How wonderful to have so many options in your area!:001_smile:

We have one that is two days a week in-class instruction, and the other days at home. (Similar to what others have mentioned.) It doesn't appeal to us (we are not Christian, and the school is), but a good friend's son attended for a year and she spoke very highly of it.