Menu

Will someone please explain The Sonlight LA program to me?

Katiebug_1976

I have been drooling over the Sonlight catalog for a couple years now, but just can't afford all of it. But I am looking at their LA program. I have looked at their catalog, and on their website, but am still not sure how it works. Is there someone out there that is using or has used this program that could explain to me exactly how it works? We use R&S English right now, and we go over the lesson together, then there is "class work" to do together, and "written work" for the student to do independently. How does Sonlight differ from this type of program?

I would greatly appreciate and info you could offer.

I'm doing Core 3+4, and Core 7 right now. With the LA. in 3+4 there is a separate LA (which we use) and in 7 it's integrated.

The LA is pretty light, mostly writing skills. No grammar that I've seen so far. No spelling either. They recommend using Sequential Spelling and Wordly Wise 3000. Grammar Ace is also recommended to use one year.

The 3+4 assignments are dictation, and then a writing assignment of some sort. This week it was a persuasive paragraph.

The 7 assignments are more in depth writing. Painless Poetry and Worldy Wise are also recommended. This week she wrote a character sketch.

I just started using Sonlight LA2, I am really enjoying using it.

Here are some posts I did on it over at my blog

first week with Sonlight LA 2

3rd week with Sonlight LA2

I tried to describe my experience using it, but there are some things I didn't mention, like-

the schedule has a box for spelling, and schedules the spelling book they offer, I don't use it, so I ignore it, but it is nice it is there, it reminds me I need to do spelling.

they also schedule explode the code as an optional resource- I don't use it because I thought it would be too much busy work, since we are using headsprout phonics and all about spelling, but if you found the sonlight way of doing LA a little light, the explode the code might make you happy.

they also schedule Wordly wise, which like explode the code is considered optional and not needed for the program. I am actually using this book, and I am enjoying it. They space it out nicely, so it is not too much work.

The LA is very Charlotte Mason style, the first day of the week they are given a dictation passage. That is it. I like that it is nice and short. (this is for the main LA portion...the schedule does have spelling and explode the code scheduled on the first day too). On day 2 you are given an "apply" activity, usually a short lesson on a LA subject such as compound words, conjunctions, pronouns, using dialog.. the notes help you explain the concept, give examples to use and then have you look for the example in the dictation paragraph. I have them circle it. Then, on the student activity sheet, you are given an assignment to use this concept, such as write a sentence using pronouns, diaglog, etc. It is short, again I like it, very little pain. I usually do this lesson on a whiteboard and ask the kids for examples before doing the activity sheet. Lately, I have also used Schoolhouse rock right before teaching the lesson. -these lessons are not what I would consider "classical" grammar, there is not repetitive drill that would be needed to memorize the concept...it is a short, natural lesson and I expect the concepts will keep popping up until the kids "know" it. Some parents might not like this way of doing things, I really do, at least for now. I am thinking that when the kids hit 5th or 6th grade, I might also add in Growing with Grammar, to get in the more classical drill and diagramming.

back to the schedule..on day 3 is another activity sheet thing, using the concept taught, but asked to write more sentences or even a paragraph. This is usually pre-writing steps for day 4. I like that this day seems to be teaching them pre-writing steps and organization for writing.

day 4 is a longer writing assignment, usually using the steps they used on day 3. day 5 is optional creative writing assignments.

I really like the natural approach and the shortness of the lessons. I think many parents have been asking for more grammar..and the LA is supposed to be revised in the new catalog, so what I just described might be different after April 1.

Edited by Hen Jen
spelling

We are currently using LA2 Reading with Easy Readers and SL 7 that incorporates language arts into the Core. The LA2 starts with a spelling rule and spelling words that they then do an activity with such as alphabetizing them. They then do dictation from whatever reader they are currently using. Each of the following days includes a different activity some of them incorporate grammar in that she may need to speak about nouns/verbs/adverbs, etc and write sentences containing these, there is no diagramming. This usually involves changing or embellishing the previous days dictation. We then usually have a brainstorming session for the next days' writing assignment which may be a journal entry, an original story, or a book review.

The older LA is incorporated with the Core and has a new writing paper, usually at least two pages long that must be introduced at the beginning of the week with a final draft due on Friday. The assignments include such things as a discussion of the books' theme or setting, also we have had lots of poetry assignments from Painless Poetry.

I konw that before SL 7 the LA is separate but it still uses books reflecting the time period of the core. Each assignment builds on what they have already learned and guides them through the different types of writing from several forms of essays to analyzing characters depending on the age of the student.

We have also used Winston Grammar to supplement them in grammar studies and Wordly Wise when they get older. I don't really feel the need for supplementation of these in the early years unless your child really likes extra workbooks.

I hope that helps!:)

Katie,

SL LA is based on Ruth Beechick philosophy (you might find her books at your Library). She advocates using real literature in studying LA, especially good literature. In addition she feels you only need to cover grammar for a year a couple of times during the child's schooling experience, probably Jr. High and sometime in High School, with no need for mastery. She feels if a child is reading enough good books they will naturally imitate what they read and won't need the grammar because they will have an internal monitor that will tell them when something doesn't sound right. She is also for using spiral methods, coming back to a topic, not worried about immediate mastery but instead mastery over time.

Generally you have a dictation passage (which can be used as copywork, but I think you loose a lot), then you have activity sheets that work on simple skills (punctuation, descriptions, rhyming, synonyms, antonyms, quotations, capitalization, some simple grammar, ect...), then they have a writing assignment, which is broken down into several days.

I personally feel they have too much focus on creative writing, especially in the early grades and not enough narration. I adore the dictation because it is at the child's reading level. So much dictation I see out there is pushing a child's knowledge level for spelling and vocab and I really like that SL keeps it easy. The spiral approach was Ok but I really prefer master, simply because I like to know where I am going and with SL I always felt a little lost till we finished the level. :rolleyes:

For spelling they include it at the LA 1 and 2 level (possibly the 2 Int and 2 Advanced also), but in LA 3 and up they recommend Sequential Spelling or another program. They also schedule Worldly Wise vocab books, and later on some grammar texts (Grammar Ace and later I think Winston Grammar) and other texts/workbooks as they feel needed.

If you have questions on how they teach phonics let me know and I can explain that too.

Heather