Menu

Apologia for a 6th grader

After my last post about Considering God's Creation for my 6th grader, I'm curious, does anyone have any other opinions on Apologia's General Science for 6th grader/12year old? I know one poster said to go ahead with it, and I'm very tempted. After looking at the sample pages, I don't think it would be above his head. I welcome any and all ideas.

I usually use Apologia General Science in the 7th grade, but one of my sons went through it in 6th. My dd 12 will be using this text next year in 7th.

I think a 6th grader could handle General Science just fine. The only thing about this progression (assuming you continue with Apologia) is that your child would be doing Biology in the 8th grade, Chemistry in the 9th, etc. You would need to make sure that Algebra 1 is completed before Chemistry, that would put your child doing Algebra 1 in the 8th grade.

He's working with various materials from gr 6-8 this year so a 7th grade science text fit right in. That first module was tough (all those scientists!) but he's been ok with it since.

I've heard of people using it as young as 5th grade. At the very worst, you could safely spend two years on it.

If you like the look of the book, go for it!

MamaT, thanks for that reply. I didn't even think about the math pre-requisite for science. Good point. Right now I'm considering a few things, but have not made up my mind. And by a few things, I mean probably 4 or 5!:tongue_smilie:

But he won't be doing Algebra in 8th, he'll be doing it in 9th. So that probably settles that right there.

Thanks!

This is my bright, self-motivated student, but I've been reviewing the book, and I think she'll be fine. I've seen a couple of places where I might need to step in and do some extra explaining, but most of the book she should be able to handle.

I think most 6th graders would do fine with this, unless they were reluctant readers or just had an aversion to science in general.

Like another poster pointed out, this could cause problems down the road by putting the child in the high school sciences before algebra. I do anticipate this child doing algebra early, but if she doesn't, I will probably kill time with either the Prentice Hall Science Explorer individual bind-ups (which I already own), or Bob Jones science (which I haven't seen).

Hey one other thought. In my 11 years of homeschooling...(not as many as many of you, but still...) I have often taken two years, or a year and a half to complete a program. We just took it slower and this allowed me more time to read itwith my child and spend more time. Also, I sometimes skip harder sections with apologia and do them more near the end of the year,. I teach Biology to an enrichment group, and I just put the easiest modules during the christmas and spring break times for them to do on their own.

Another thing you might consider is to use one of the Apologia Elementary books and have him do them on his own. The yahoo group for the Elementary books has some files of tests, review sheets, etc. that some people have put together for their kids. That's what I'm doing with my 6th grader this year to prepare him for doing Apologia General Science on his own next year. I also have him doing his own lapbook from LiveandLearn Press.

Another thing you might consider is to use one of the Apologia Elementary books and have him do them on his own. The yahoo group for the Elementary books has some files of tests, review sheets, etc. that some people have put together for their kids. That's what I'm doing with my 6th grader this year to prepare him for doing Apologia General Science on his own next year. I also have him doing his own lapbook from LiveandLearn Press.

That's not a bad idea. We're doing the Astronomy right now with the Live and Learn press notebook and he loves it. If I choose to go MFW again next year, we'll be doing Botany.

I'm definitely waiting on the Gen. Sci. I think waiting another year to do that would be good for him.

Well I already let my oldest talk me into that and she start Apologia General in about a month.

At this point I think I am going to have her do Sizzle, Solve & Survive (a Winter Promise science program) for 7th, then go back to Apologia Physical for 8th.

Heather