Menu

Anyone have a dc doing the ACT next Saturday?

Just curious if anyone else has a child who's tackling this.

My oldest will be doing the ACT, along with the essay, which she dreads.

I'm hoping we'll have time to do a quick review this week before the test. I plan on doing just practice section of the test before next weekend. I don't know whether or not we'll have time to tackle a sample essay; I think we'll be doing well just to get the former done. The problem is that she always feels swallowed up by homework after school, so fitting the practice tests into her schedule may not be easy.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any others here who are facing the same thing. I know this happens several times a year, but April is a big testing month in our area of the country.

Yup, my son is taking the ACT April 4, but not the essay this year. He did it last. Be forewarned (and I am sure that you are) that ACT essay topics seem more applicable to students in traditional schools. Your daughter has had classroom experience outside of the home, so perhaps this will not be as problematic for her as it is for some homeschoolers. Truly, grades on these essays may be tied to luck of the draw with respect to the topic!

Yes, my 10th grader and my 8th grader will be testing. I always test after 8th grade in order to plan for high school. This time son #3 will be the 8th grader. He is my least academic, but in many ways the most talented of all the boys. So...he's squirming a bit. His reading is great, math is good but inconsistent, science is good, spelling is fantastic, grammar is pathetic :-(.

I just (10 minutes ago) discovered that the 30 minutes per day I scheduled the 10th grader to work on ACT prep (for the past month) has been neglected - can I pinch his head off??? Somehow he just, "didn't have enough time in the day"...but he can play HALO till all hours! Argh!!! His 8th grade brother has been very consistent in his ACT prep (who'd have thought?!?)

Should be an interesting Saturday as I'm also hosting a wedding shower at my home that afternoon.

Yup, my son is taking the ACT April 4, but not the essay this year. He did it last. Be forewarned (and I am sure that you are) that ACT essay topics seem more applicable to students in traditional schools. Your daughter has had classroom experience outside of the home, so perhaps this will not be as problematic for her as it is for some homeschoolers. Truly, grades on these essays may be tied to luck of the draw with respect to the topic!

Isn't that the truth---the luck of the draw! Yes, I hope the essay topic will be something that she knows something about. I've never quite understood how her mind works when she writes. There are long moments (hours?) during which she stares at the computer, waiting for inspiration. Then suddenly---a burst of energy! I will have to explain again about the time limit thing ;) I just hope we have time to try at least one practice essay.

I won't make her do the essay again, unless she begs for it (which she probably won't). :)

Guest Katia

Yes, my dd is taking the ACT April 4. She is my last homeschooler :-( Believe it or not (but it really is true!) I am surfing right now because I have to be quiet while giving my dd a practice ACT test! She's on the reading section right now.

And she will take the essay portion as well. The college she wants to attend (Hillsdale) requires it.

We got a book called 10 Real ACT Tests when my dd took ACT last year and she managed to get through 5 of them, so we're trying for the other 5 for youngest dd. I don't think it helps much as far as content goes, but it seems to be a great help to be totally familiar with the test and to have each dc map out some strategies that work for them.

And I am certain that making them do a timed essay at least 5 times prior to the actual test is very, very helpful. I even had my dd doing this once a month last semester so she could become familiar with it....and I'm glad I did. She spent the first try crying for the entire 30 minutes because she couldn't think of a thing to write! Boy was I glad that was practice and not the test. But, then we knew what to work on.

And, she's just a junior this year, so she can re-take it next fall in her senior year if we're not happy with her scores this round.....but I'm hoping this will be the one-and-only test time. It just takes so much time out of our 'real' learning schedule.

Good luck to everyone else that's taking it next Sat.

My Junior is also taking it next Saturday. We have done zero prep work but earlier today I informed him that we were going to fit in 1-2 hrs for the next several days on ACT prep. He tests quite well but the comments about the essay being more suited to ps kids has me wondering/worrying about this part now.

Carole

My 10th grader will be taking it on April 4th. He is pretty well prepared I think and I hope he does well.

I'm sure he will. My dd does well in school, but my big concern is that I'd like her to squeeze in at least one practice test during the after-school hours. I hope that will be possible.

I'm sure he will. My dd does well in school, but my big concern is that I'd like her to squeeze in at least one practice test during the after-school hours. I hope that will be possible.

We have been doing a practice test on Fridays and going lite on other subjects that day. I bought the CD SAT math review but we haven't gotten to it yet. I am not sure we will have time to watch/do it all before the 4th.

Edited by Quiver0f10