Menu

Henle Latin questions

I've done more research on both Henle and Cambridge, thanks to the help and links several of you gave me yesterday, and I'm leaning toward Henle. I have a few more questions:

Looks like it's possible to move on to the second Henle text without completing the first, provided the basics are covered? Would that be the equivalent of a 1st year Latin course?

There are curriculum guides by two different authors--Lowe and Berquist--anyone use both, one for tests and the other for daily work? Or is that overkill?

Do you use Henle for four years, or switch after a year or two? Generally, I find it better to stick with one series or author--once we get used to the format of the books, it's easier for ds to work independently if things don't change too much. But it looks like Henle is perhaps not challenging enough for AP or NLE--is that accurate? My son will be in 8th next year, so we could complet a four-year program.

Thanks again!

Henle First Year can be completed through Unit 7, I believe, and a credit can be assigned for a first year course. Then, you may finish the book for a Latin II credit, or move on to the Henle Second Year text for a Year 2 credit. Some people move on to other programs after using Henle, but I don't really see the point in this as it would likely require a little backing up since curricula teach different components in alternate sequences.

Not sure about it not being rigorous enough for AP or NLE- what I have heard just from hanging out here and on the Henle Yahoo Group is that it lacks a few things, like cultural/mythology studies that other texts tend to include. I think the grammar/language training is very good, however, and that is my main reason for using this program, aside from the fact that I can actually learn it along with my son.

I started out with the Cheryl Lowe syllabus and found it to be WAY too slow a pace for us. I moved on to the Berquist 1a and now we have started 1b. However, these are very quick in pace and we do it about half the pace- but my son is in 8th grade, so that suits us. Next year we may pick up the pace, or just do .5 credit since he will also be starting up Spanish and 4-5 other credits, and I don't want to completely overwhelm him.

HTH! I am just glad to be answering a Latin question! I feel a little bit smart now- but am willing to be corrected on any of my information in spite of all my smartness.

Looks like it's possible to move on to the second Henle text without completing the first, provided the basics are covered? Would that be the equivalent of a 1st year Latin course?

There are curriculum guides by two different authors--Lowe and Berquist--anyone use both, one for tests and the other for daily work? Or is that overkill?

Thanks again!

Yes, you don't have to finish Latin Year One, Henle before moving to Second Year. Look at the memoriapress site to see how far to go (unit 9?).

I had both the Lowe & Berquist guides. We started with MODG syllabus A but it moved too fast for us (grade 8) so we then switched to Lowe guide. The Lowe guide was just right. We used the MODG tests but wouldn't have if I didn't already own it (Memoria Press has tests you can buy separately).

There are new curriculum guides from MODG that I bought and replaced my old guides. They include more details on practice, include blank charts to fill in as part of practice, more quizzes and more teaching details.

They have really upgraded this to something a non latin scholar can teach.

I also bought the answer key to all those excercises missing from the Henle Answer key because they are sooo simple you don't need a translation . Huh!

I really recommend the Teacher's Manual for Henle Latin Series First and Second Years by Sister Mary Jeanne, S.N.D. -- I got my copy from Our Lady of Victory School in Post Falls Idaho. It is inexpensive and really clues you in on what to emphasize.

Caveat: I haven't seen/used other curriculum guides, I just used the pacing from the Yahoo group.

If I were starting Latin now, I'd take a look at Latin for the New Millenium, I'm hearing good things about it on Latinbestpractices and Latinteach.

My elder daughter switched to Scholars Online (for Latin III & IV) after Latin II and will take the AP this May.

The SAT II test is usually taken sometime after Latin III. The NLE has many levels of testing, including intro. It is designed to be taken in March and is not geared to any specific curriculum but tends to include more cultural details than Henle's covers. You can see the syllabus and past papers at the NLE site.

HTH

~Moira

But it looks like Henle is perhaps not challenging enough for AP or NLE--is that accurate? My son will be in 8th next year, so we could complet a four-year program.

Thanks again!

My kids finished Henle book I through the seventh unit before taking the Year I test of the NLE. They found the test extremely easy...although we did have to spend a couple of weeks reviewing Roman culture from other sources before the test since Henle doesn't really address that aspect of the NLE.

I think they could have taken the NLE I test after only studying the first five units of Henle I. They know so much more than what that test covered.

By the way, I preferred the Berquist study guide, but slowed it down a bit. The weekly quizzes and blank declension/conjugation charts it contains are great.

HTH,

Cathy