Menu

Any books on *dealing* with teen neurobiology

We've been inundated in the last few years with articles about teen brain development. We read about the organic reasons our teens are risk takers, why they argue or are prone to addiction, why they want to stay up until 3:00 and sleep until 11:00. It helps to read these things and to understand that our kids may not feel in control of some of their behaviors and that their brains are undergoing massive changes.

But I would really love to read a book that takes this research into account and then gives parents ideas for how to deal with their teens and even how to encourage those brains to just shape up quicker. Is that even possible? Can parents say, "I really want that pre-frontal cortex to develop before I send my kid off to college, so I am going to give him X supplement?" Is there evidence that music lessons or sports or any other activity results in positive brain changes in teens? Do we just live with their weird sleep desires or give them melatonin?

I'm thinking that not all kids are argumentative as teens. Not all of them stay up until all hours. Are there any good books about how to really effectively manage this difficult period that focus not so much on how parents can discipline or mentor their kids, or even on the parent/child relationship, but in a really neurobiological sense?

I can only tell you not to waste your time with Parenting the Teenage Brain by Sheryl Feinstein. It was all parenting advice with a few big medical words tossed in here and there to justify it. I was very disappointed.

I'm not sure you would want to alter and rush the normal physical process, from a medical perspective.

I'm not sure you would want to alter and rush the normal physical process, from a medical perspective.

I might. Just a bit.

Seriously, just like I don't want to suffer unnecessary symptoms of menopause if exercise, diet, sleep, natural remedies, or some other positive change can help reduce those symptoms, I don't want my kids to engage in risk taking behavior, suffer from depression and moodiness, have an extreme amount of conflict in their lives, or experience some of the other things we associate with teens.

I've got one to the age of 21 and mostly he was just an arguer (argue and argue and argue and argue and have emotional melt downs). I wouldn't put my kids on weird experimental drugs, or probably any drugs at all. But if there were very good research that said that suggested that certain other changes can help teen brains to develop those reasoning, judgment and empathy skills earlier or stronger, I would be all for trying.

We've been inundated in the last few years with articles about teen brain development. We read about the organic reasons our teens are risk takers, why they argue or are prone to addiction, why they want to stay up until 3:00 and sleep until 11:00. It helps to read these things and to understand that our kids may not feel in control of some of their behaviors and that their brains are undergoing massive changes.

But I would really love to read a book that takes this research into account and then gives parents ideas for how to deal with their teens and even how to encourage those brains to just shape up quicker. Is that even possible? Can parents say, "I really want that pre-frontal cortex to develop before I send my kid off to college, so I am going to give him X supplement?" Is there evidence that music lessons or sports or any other activity results in positive brain changes in teens? Do we just live with their weird sleep desires or give them melatonin?

I'm thinking that not all kids are argumentative as teens. Not all of them stay up until all hours. Are there any good books about how to really effectively manage this difficult period that focus not so much on how parents can discipline or mentor their kids, or even on the parent/child relationship, but in a really neurobiological sense?

Unfortunately, most of what I've learned about in teen brain development has come from lectures or PBS. You might look at Dr. Amen's books. He has some on maintaining and improving brain health for all ages that might help you on aiding brain maturity.

I did learn from a lecture on teen neurobiology that teens are far more stimulated by light, TV and computers late at night than children and adult are. The Dr. recomended that all screen and other stimulating activity stop a half hour before bed time -- reading's ok. Then the bedroom should be totally dark. Install blackout curtains if necessary. That will help most teens get to sleep at a reasonable hour, but still later than their childhood times.

Edited by Kathy in MD