Menu

US History/Westward Expansion/RR's - Need some ideas!

KristineinKS

We've got 2 weeks before we're going on a mini-vacation to explore many stops along the Santa Fe Trail, so I am looking for some ideas on how to give my kids an overview of the trail (or life on the trails - we'll hit a couple of Oregon Trail stops as well), Westward expansion & anything else that should be covered. We've been studying ancient civilizations this year, so this is a departure from our normal schedule & I really have no idea how to approach this. My boys have had some US History in public school, but my daughter really hasn't & I'd like them to have some understanding of what they're seeing on the trip.

Is 2 weeks too much to spend on this topic? Are there other things I should cover? I've thought about also including something about the railroads because we'll be visiting many "ghost towns" along the way - many of these towns were created by the railroads but already nearly abandoned by the 1910s when the railroads ceased to be as important. Any book/movie/audio recommendations would be appreciated - I'm kind of clueless as to how I should approach this & keep it simple enough for two weeks! Thanks!

A read-aloud might help. We just read Bound for Oregon (with MFW EX1850) and it really helped visualize the trip West. Maybe there's a good read-aloud specific to the Santa Fe trail?

Also, we once had a field trip to the downtown branch of the Wells Fargo Bank (in Mpls.). They gave a great presentation on westward expansion. It was surprisingly hands-on, and the docent really made the kids "feel" the experience of going west in a stagecoach & other popular options such as going on foot. Maybe other Wells Fargo main branches have this feature?

Oh, and another field trip we took was to James J. Hill's house, & there was a lot there about railroads. Maybe you have another railroad mogel in your town? Or even a railroad museum?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We've got 2 weeks before we're going on a mini-vacation to explore many stops along the Santa Fe Trail, so I am looking for some ideas on how to give my kids an overview of the trail.

Any book/movie/audio recommendations would be appreciated

I can't help too much because we're not there yet but this Holling book is WONDERFUL and the trail is the Santa Fe Trail.

Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling

http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Trail-Holling-C/dp/039554534X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237751476&sr=8-1

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun!

A read-aloud might help. We just read Bound for Oregon (with MFW EX1850) and it really helped visualize the trip West. Maybe there's a good read-aloud specific to the Santa Fe trail?

I just noticed in the book we're currently reading (also from this series) that there IS one about the Santa Fe trail. I haven't read it, but I've been very happy with the quality of this series. They are based on true stories. By the way, my son doesn't know they're called Daughters of the Faith :lol:

Ransom's Mark

Daughters of the Faith #4

By Lawton Wendy