Menu

Please give me your spelling program suggestions for grade 3

TrixieB

My second grader is using Rod & Staff spelling this year. She and I both like the independent-work aspect of the program.

I would like for her to use something that is not too "easy" and I'm not sure if Rod & Staff is considered easy or challenging.

Are there 3rd grade workbook-based spelling programs that have a 3 lines with dashed midline format? She has a very hard time writing legibly on a single line. From a sample I saw, it looks like R&S uses a single line from grades 3 on up.

Or is there a great spelling program that requires work on separate paper, yet would allow her to work independently?

Any ideas?

rod and staff spelling 3. We have only seen the samples at rodandstaffbooks.com, but we like what we've seen and it looks plenty challenging.

I looked around a bit, but I can't find a spelling that still has the midway line at the third grade level.

I'll keep looking for you, though and see what I can find.

Blessings!

Dee

ps maybe you can get her paper with the midway line and have her write out her work there instead of in the book. Rod and Staff turns changes into a textbook in the upper grades, I think.

I purchased the Primary Learning Log from Wanda Sanseri at Rainbow Resource and we use this for copying out the words in our Rod and Staff spelling and it has the midway line. Maybe you cana check it out and this can work out for you.

I think R&S starts out looking easy, but get progressively harder. Its singular focus on a phonetic sound each lesson is coherent, important and, compared other phonics based spelling programs I've seen, better at keeping that sound in the child's mind w/the exercises provided.

You're right though, that it's missing a midline, which I would like too.

Could you have your daughter write her answers on lined paper instead of the workbook?