Menu

Does anyone have the link to SWB's blog re: using HOAW?

Remember, she had posted on her blog what her routine was with HOAW? I had the link on my old computer, but it crashed, and now I'm link-less. :crying: I tried searching her blog, but I'm not seeing it.

If you can help, I really appreciate it!

Is this it? Scroll down a bit.

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-raving-writer/a-writers-education/

That's it!!! Thanks a million!

On a more personal note:

I drove to my mother's today and so I took the time to re-listen to the high school seminar SWB did in Atlanta this summer. Anyway, she mentioned over and over again that if you want your dc to specialize (the big advantage to homeschooling for high school), *something* has to fall off the schedule. So...I am rethinking things, trying to be realistic about how much I've been planning (in my head, not on paper, yet). This will help *so much*; it is so freeing to understand that SWB herself is tweaking WTM to fit her kids, you know? I am so excited for you to get to hear her live! I know I can't go (barring a miracle), so please take lots of notes!

That's it!!! Thanks a million!

On a more personal note:

I drove to my mother's today and so I took the time to re-listen to the high school seminar SWB did in Atlanta this summer. Anyway, she mentioned over and over again that if you want your dc to specialize (the big advantage to homeschooling for high school), *something* has to fall off the schedule. So...I am rethinking things, trying to be realistic about how much I've been planning (in my head, not on paper, yet). This will help *so much*; it is so freeing to understand that SWB herself is tweaking WTM to fit her kids, you know? I am so excited for you to get to hear her live! I know I can't go (barring a miracle), so please take lots of notes!

I was just telling dh last night that I'm taking lots of paper and pens with me and I'll be writing furiously the whole time. I am also desperately hoping they'll be recording sessions so I can buy them and bring them home.

I'm still curious about the recordings you got - what exactly was the high school lecture and the middle school lecture? She's doing middle school writing and high school writing this time, but I get the feeling what you are talking about is different?

Did you read Janice in NJ's resting on oars post the other day? It was right along what you are talking about above. It was REALLY good.

That was fascinating!

I so wish I had been allowed to do this in high school. When I was picking course for junior year, I told my guidance counselor that I wanted to continue Spanish and French, add Italian, and take Biology 2 instead of Chemistry. She said, "What will colleges think when they see all these languages and biology?!" I raised my eyebrow and said, "That I like languages and biology?" LOL

Actually, when I first listened to her, I was *so* discouraged. (LOL - that always seems to happen. Then, I re-read or re-listen, and I realize, Wow, her way is actually so much easier than I thought!)

But, she spent at least 30-40 minutes talking about the *MINIMUM* requirements for "graduation", and then the *MINIMUM* requirements for college entrance. She really encouraged people to first be sure the minimums are being covered (not the whole WTM-shebang!, but the true minimums). Then, go and fill in the "electives" with what the student wants, and really allow them to develop an expertise.

(And, even to log your hours, and when you get to 140 actual hours, the class is done, it's a wrap, get a grade and go on to the next thing. No beating yourself up because you didn't cover everything, you know?) So, realistically, there's no way I can cover all I want. I've *got* to figure out what direction we're going to go in, and then slim. things. down. so that he can have time to practice for the youth worship band, volunteer at the local food bank, etc. and get some practical experience ministering to people.

The other thing that really spoke to me today (and which I'm still not sure how to make happen) is to rely on tutors, online classes, or correspondence classes for anything that isn't the teacher's "passion". I guess my doubt is it seems like I'm not really qualified to have a "passion" for anything. (I'm a piano performance/music ed major.) I am still digesting this...

She spent most of the rest of the time focusing on Rhetoric and it's importance. The basic plan she presented is the one that's on her blog (actually, there is more info here than on my CD):

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-raving-writer/using-the-exercises-of-classical-rhetoric-in-high-school/#comments

But, she did say to use The Rulebook of Arguments book (Weston) in 9th before starting the Composition in the Classical Tradition. I'm sure she'll go into more detail at the conference in VA than she did in my CD.

I know there was something else, but the two biggies are specialization and rhetoric. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them (anytime - just pm me).

Thanks again for your help!

Actually, when I first listened to her, I was *so* discouraged. (LOL - that always seems to happen. Then, I re-read or re-listen, and I realize, Wow, her way is actually so much easier than I thought!)

But, she spent at least 30-40 minutes talking about the *MINIMUM* requirements for "graduation", and then the *MINIMUM* requirements for college entrance. She really encouraged people to first be sure the minimums are being covered (not the whole WTM-shebang!, but the true minimums). Then, go and fill in the "electives" with what the student wants, and really allow them to develop an expertise.

(And, even to log your hours, and when you get to 140 actual hours, the class is done, it's a wrap, get a grade and go on to the next thing. No beating yourself up because you didn't cover everything, you know?) So, realistically, there's no way I can cover all I want. I've *got* to figure out what direction we're going to go in, and then slim. things. down. so that he can have time to practice for the youth worship band, volunteer at the local food bank, etc. and get some practical experience ministering to people.

The other thing that really spoke to me today (and which I'm still not sure how to make happen) is to rely on tutors, online classes, or correspondence classes for anything that isn't the teacher's "passion". I guess my doubt is it seems like I'm not really qualified to have a "passion" for anything. (I'm a piano performance/music ed major.) I am still digesting this...

She spent most of the rest of the time focusing on Rhetoric and it's importance. The basic plan she presented is the one that's on her blog (actually, there is more info here than on my CD):

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-raving-writer/using-the-exercises-of-classical-rhetoric-in-high-school/#comments

But, she did say to use The Rulebook of Arguments book (Weston) in 9th before starting the Composition in the Classical Tradition. I'm sure she'll go into more detail at the conference in VA than she did in my CD.

I know there was something else, but the two biggies are specialization and rhetoric. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them (anytime - just pm me).

Thanks again for your help!

Rhonda this is great, thank you so much!!! I'll try to reread it tomorrow and pm you - I probably will be grilling you with more questions, sorry! (but thanks!)

I hope she talks about some of this stuff in VA.

Oh, the other "big thing" she discussed was how to do the Junior and Senior Projects, which kind of ties in to specialization. She used the online game "World of Warcraft" to show how *any* subject that captivates your child can be studied (Oh, I can't think of the exact word she used...) academically (I think).

Basically, by asking questions about how it began, what paved the way for it, why it became important, what purpose it served to society,etc, you are studying American culture in depth, and hopefully the dc is beginning to understand why "it" is important to him as well. She didn't say this, but I came away with the impression that it will help jump-start dc into really examining what "life is all about" and where he fits into the grand scheme of things.

I do think ds is concerned that one of his favorite past-times (gaming online) is now fodder for school work - LOLOLOL!