Menu

Another Science question....

If you had to combine a 1st (ish) grade and a 5th grader, what would you use? We are using NOEO now and had planned to use Bio. I next year, but I am waffling. I want to know what other options I have for combining them.

Also, if the program wasn't super expensive, I could do something for each of them without combining.

My issue is that we are all NOT science lovers. I loathe it (other than Biology) and my kids just have other interests and Science is not their thing. I really am thinking of doing WP SSBB, but it is geared toward 1st-4th grades...do you think I would be short-changing the 5th grader by doing it???

BAH!

Hi--I have always combined my oldest two in science with Weaver. We are finishing that and the oldest is going onto to Apologia 7th...so I will have a 5th and 1st. I have had trouble with this as well, but have decided to use God's Design for Science line. They have been updated to color - which seemed to be the main, if not only, complaint I found. There are 6 books to choose from that cover grades 1-6 and it looks like it will be fairly painless to combine these two ages - even though they are pretty far apart. They look interesting--not covering a whole subject for one year, which I don't think would work for us--and yet, not skipping around too much. They are not as costly as some of the science programs out there. I am hoping to do 4 books next year and 4 the following year. We'll see! Hope this helps!

We have really liked Elem Apologia Sciences for the grade school ages. The lessons are conversational (you could read aloud to 1st grader) and you could assign according to their level--oral narratives/illustrations for the 1st grader and written summaries/ill for 5th. I like it b/c it is so simple to use too. There are some nice plans out there, too, to help you with ideas.

They may still have a bad taste from Calvert. Mine did.
LOL - I couldn't get rid of that crazy textbook fast enough! LOL Actually, most of this year my oldest has done NOEO Physics I. He just gets bored with reading/nteboking/experiment/repeat. KWIM? And since Science was never my *thing,* I do them a great injustice by just not getting very involved. :(

We are using Apologia Zoology II this year for 4th and 6th but my Ker loves it. We read it aloud so that everyone can enjoy it at the same time. After the reading I let the youngest start the narration by telling us what he remembers then move on to the 4th grader then the 6th grader. Everyone does a notebook page that reflects his level. We do the labs and hands on things together as well. They also all enjoy checking out the links on the Apologia website for further info and pictures. I know it sounds like a stretch to combine such different ages and before this year I wouldn't have thought of it. I didn't actually intend to add in the Ker but it is working out so well.