Menu

Can we talk about portable highchairs?

Do you use one? How do you like it?

I am having a hard time deciding about a table attaching model or the ones that attach to a chair. The whole idea of hanging my son off a table scares me but I have heard they are safe. Not requiring a chair would be nice.

Any recommendations?

We've never used the table hanging kind, but we love our Fisher Price model. It has a bunch of features: variable heights; comfortable; good straps (both to the chair and on the baby); dishwasher safe tray with a cover; folds compactly; easily transportable. We move our little ones out of a high chair into the booster at the table earlier than if we didn't have it (12-14 months).

I know of at least 3 that have been purchased because they liked ours so much.

If your baby is sitting well, have you considered one of those pretty oak ones they use in restaurants? I got one when my dd was 1 yr old and it's one of the few baby items I'm keeping for future grandkids.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/wood-restaurant-high-chair-heavy-duty-solid-oak/6907804%20%20%20%20%20OK.html

That's all we paid for ours too. It still looks new and we've gotten a total of six years use out of it (between two kids). You know it'd be hard to tip too as restaurants have to think about liability.

Oh, and if you go the hanging high chair route do remember these are not recommended for pedestal tables.

I don't know the brand name because we have given all of ours away, but we had the red, blue and yellow one that folded up and strapped to a chair. It was very handy and versatile. We ran the straps through from top to bottom to connect to picnic tables when camping and normally to hook to chairs at home. It meant we didn't have to worry about what to do with toddler when visiting family and friends who didn't have high chairs because it was really portable. As for using a chair, I figured the kid would eventually need his/her own chair anyway. We got it at Walmart/Target for under $20.

We had one that attached to the table, and we loved it---until my daughter about tipped the whole table over at Cracker Barrel. If my DH and I both hadn't jumped up and grabbed the table, she would have been on the floor with the table on top of her. I'm shivering just remembering it. We never used it again after that. She weighed about 17 pounds at the time.