Menu

Calling all mathmeticians...

Ok, so the problem should go like this:

S=sqrt(9.8*1000)

S=sqrt(9800)

S=98.99

There are a lot of decimals, you'll have to see what the particular book is asking to round to. Personally, I'd leave it as above. BTW, this isn't something you can figure without a calculator, unless you are a genius!:D

HTH!

Where g is 9.8 and d=1000
I'm guessing that g is gravity - 9.8 m/s^2 - and d is distance - 1,000 m.

S=The square root of g times d
Is it S = sqrt(g*d), or S = sqrt(g)*d? I'm guessing that it's the former, as at least that yields units that make sense (m/s - velocity), but I admit I'm confused, as neither one looks like a formula I'm familiar with. Assuming the problem is where something is dropped 1,000m above the earth, and you want to know at what velocity said object hits the ground, the given equation - S = sqrt(g*d) - is close enough for Alg I work, I guess (it should be S = sqrt(2g*d)).

At any rate, to solve it you'd just:

*plug in your values for g&d:

S = sqrt(9.8*1000)

*and do the calculation:

S = sqrt(9.8*10*100)

=sqrt(98)*sqrt(100)

=~9.9*10

=~99

Let me clarify. Sorry I didn't do this to start with. The problem goes like this: The speed, s (in meters per second) at which a tsunami moves is determine by the depth, d (in meters) of the ocean.

s=sqrt (g times d), where g is 9.8 meters per second.

***Find the speed of a tsunami in a region of the ocean tat is 1000 meters deep. Write the result in simplified form.***

The answer in the back of the book says: 70 sqrt (2)

I think I am writing that right, I would say "Seventy square root 2"

Let me clarify. Sorry I didn't do this to start with. The problem goes like this: The speed, s (in meters per second) at which a tsunami moves is determine by the depth, d (in meters) of the ocean.

s=sqrt (g times d), where g is 9.8 meters per second.

***Find the speed of a tsunami in a region of the ocean tat is 1000 meters deep. Write the result in simplified form.***

Oh, ok. Learned something new =).

The answer in the back of the book says: 70 sqrt (2)
Ok, I see what they did. Instead of approximating sqrt(98), like I did, they separated it into sqrt(49*2). So the whole problem would go like:

S = sqrt(9.8 * 1000)

= sqrt(9.8*10*100)

= sqrt(98)*sqrt(100)

= sqrt(49*2)*10

= sqrt(49)*sqrt(2)*10

= 7*sqrt(2)*10

=70sqrt(2) m/s

HTH