Menu

Elementary Algebra by Harold R. Jacobs

I have been reading the threads with interest about which Algebra curriculum to use as I have rising 7th and 8th grade students.

I checked this Jacobs Algebra book out of the library. It has a copyright of 1979, ninth printing, 1998.

Is this the latest version?

Is there a teacher's manual, solution book, and/or test booklet for it?

Where would be the best place to buy it?

With much appreciation . . .

I checked this Jacobs Algebra book out of the library. It has a copyright of 1979, ninth printing, 1998.

Is this the latest version?

Is there a teacher's manual, solution book, and/or test booklet for it?

Where would be the best place to buy it?

Yes, that's the latest version.

There is a teacher book, but it's just an answer key, not a solution manual.

There is also a test bank which has 4 versions of each chapter test, so you can give the test a 2nd time if your child needs to redo the test.

I bought mine on the WTM for sale board, but you can get it new at Rainbow Resource.

I did use Jacobs with my oldest dd. It worked very well for her.

I intended to use it with my middle dd as well, but she thought it looked very intimidating after Singapore Math. I had just read a post about Kinetic Books having a computer-based algebra that was offered as a free download that worked for a full year. The free download was available for one month only. I downloaded it and my dd thought that looked much better than Jacobs. She did the first chapter and liked it, but didn't like the immediate feedback (she's an Aspie and tends to get emotionally attached to her answers). She asked if she could try the Jacobs to compare. After she did the first chapter in that book, she asked me if she could do both programs, switching back and forth at the end of each chapter. It would take twice as long to do it that way, but she was just about to turn 12yo, so she had plenty of time.

She switched back and forth between the two programs for all of her 7th grade year. Over the summer, she decided that she like Kinetic Books better than Jacobs. Even though she didn't like immediate feedback very much, she disliked getting all the answers wrong because she misunderstood every more. After she did one entire lesson in Jacobs with all the answers wrong (misunderstood about exponents), she decided that working with Kinetic Books was a better use of her time. It always has lots of problems with immediate feedback before the paper&pencil sections, so she knows that she really knows what she's doing before she has to work completely on her own.

They are both very good programs. I'll offer my youngest a choice between the two (or doing both at the same time, if she wants).