Menu

Does anyone use Rainbow Science?

mommy25

I am a mommy that likes to teach science! But I don't have time with 4 dc from 7th grade to K. Oldest is using Rainbow Science COMPLETELY independently this year. I think the science explanations are complete and understandable and the style of the writing is amusing and engaging. It is great for my just-get-it-done-and-over-so-real-life-can-commence 7th grader. I particularly like that everything is included to do all of the experiments. Formal science is much more likely to get done if all of the supplies are sitting on the shelf rather than running around trying to find a medium marble, a funnel, and a 3inch square of tissue paper. (or whatever odd combo it is this week!) Both ds and I would recommend it fully, and we don't agree on much right now.

I'm using it for the second time right now. I think it's great. And kids really *do* the experiments, rather than just reading about them, as happens too often with other programs when the reading takes up too much time.

I will tell you the warning that I tell my kids -- less words in the book means more concentration on those words (and pictures). My son does it with a friend, & they do it all on their own. But I also have them review & even use vocab words in place of English vocab/spelling time. The new online quizzes also help retain the info.

It's just jr. hi science, but for us it's a great prep for high school science because it solidly teaches the big picture, and makes the small details more fun.

The lady at Rainbow Science that I talked to yesterday said that they have been around for around 11 years. I had not heard of them until last week!

Also, on there website they quote what SWB says about their curriculum:

Susan Wise Bauer, The Well Trained Mind , website . . . “This is probably the best home school science curriculum I have seen. Even if you are science illiterate, you can understand and teach it. It gives students the grounding they will need for high school without extraneous fluff.â€

Does anyone know if she said that lately? I know she does not recommend it in TWTM so maybe it is coming out in the new addition?

The lady at Rainbow Science that I talked to yesterday said that they have been around for around 11 years. I had not heard of them until last week!

Also, on there website they quote what SWB says about their curriculum:

Susan Wise Bauer, The Well Trained Mind , website . . . “This is probably the best home school science curriculum I have seen. Even if you are science illiterate, you can understand and teach it. It gives students the grounding they will need for high school without extraneous fluff.â€

Does anyone know if she said that lately? I know she does not recommend it in TWTM so maybe it is coming out in the new addition?

I love this curric. I don't think SWB recommends anything anymore - I remember kind of a "disclaimer" that her recommendations weren't that useful because what works for one family doesn't work for another.

We used it 3-4 years ago and it was a great prep for high school science and the perfect science for a nonscience mom like me. I used it with 2 kids at the same time - a 5/6th grade science-lover and a 7/8th gr nonscience student. It was as close to perfect as you could get.

We did the vocab with flashcards, used the quizzes (online) and outlined several chapters for retention.

Great curriculum!

lisaj

I love this curric. I don't think SWB recommends anything anymore - I remember kind of a "disclaimer" that her recommendations weren't that useful because what works for one family doesn't work for another.

We used it 3-4 years ago and it was a great prep for high school science and the perfect science for a nonscience mom like me. I used it with 2 kids at the same time - a 5/6th grade science-lover and a 7/8th gr nonscience student. It was as close to perfect as you could get.

We did the vocab with flashcards, used the quizzes (online) and outlined several chapters for retention.

Great curriculum!

lisaj

Thank you, Lisa! I will be using it with my two oldest girls that are the exact ages of your kids at the time you used it. We are looking forward to getting started. :001_smile: