Menu

Latin course online

lmrich

I have three students (next year 5th, 6th, 7th) who I have taught Latin to for the last two years. We will finish Latin for Children two this year. I am feeling overwhelmed and quite frankly tired of the attitude of these kids towards the Latin class....so I was considering having them enroll in online class. Has anyone had experience with Veritas Press? Memoria Press? of Lone Pine classes? I would still have the kids together in a study group and I can help them complete thier assignments. Please give me any feedback you can - you can even tell me to stick to it and teach Latin 3 next year and save the money.

Linda

I have not used Memoria Press's on-line Latin, but we are enrolled in their on-line Logic class. My son does enjoy the class and he feels accountable, which I really like. He reads the book, does the exercises and then attends a on-line audio/visual chat. He enjoys the teacher and responds well to having a little competition. The teacher asks questions and they have to answer. He also has quizzes at the end of class and they earn points by being the first to answer. After the chat, he takes quizzes on-line and it records the grades.

I am planning to do Henle Latin this way next year. We have worked our way through Prima Latina and are using Latina Christiana I. They are not thrilled about it, but they do learn. I have Lively Latin, but with four of them, I know that I do much better with curriculum that allows you to easily pick it up and do the next thing. I am working on a plan which incorporates Latina Christiana, and the LC DVD's, Book of Roots, and Ludere Latin. I think if they know exactly what to pick up and it is small chunks, they do just fine with it.

You have my permission to outsource if you are feeling overwhelmed and can afford it. :D

I will share with you my experience. I spent 3 years teaching Latin to ds. We used Minimus then Matin Latin 1 & 2. Ds had a good attitude. I had no experience with Latin and do not see myself as good with languages in general. I was very happy to outsource to a tutor after those 3 years. Our tutor was a retired gentlemen who was thoroughly knowledgeable, added a ton in terms of historical knowledge and pertinence to English words, and good with kids to boot. When we started, there were 2 other students in the class, but eventually they dropped out. That's when ds's attitude started to take a nosedive. Latin = Work = something to be avoided according to ds.

We completed the year, but decided to drop foreign language until high school.

Honestly, I wonder if part of the problem was the text we were using. We used Oxford Latin, which is intended for high school. Yes, it would be fine for a bright junior high student, but what about for an average junior high student?

I wonder how things would have worked out had I tried an online course instead. Another one you might want to check out is The Potter's School.

Good luck!